Henrico County Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
This website was reviewed on 2013-12-03.
- Elected Officials
- School board members are listed with contact information.
- Board meeting minutes and agendas are posted.
- Meeting documents are archived dating back to 2008.
- Background checks
- Background check and fingerprinting policies are posted.
- Academic performance reports are posted.
- Administrative officials
- Administrative officials are listed with contact information on each department page.
- The website links to Henrico County's purchasing page, with bid and contract information.
- The budget breaks down tax revenues that fund the school by federal, state, and local taxes.
- The school's website links to the county's which provides information on all local tax rates and revenues on it's "Finance" page.
- Public records
- Information detailing the state law and how to file a request is provided.
- The public information officer is identified and provides a phone number, mailing address, and personalized email.
Virginia Board of Education
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Henrico County Public Schools publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
Math and English
Because certain student subgroups failed to meet math and English AYP targets, the district failed to make AYP for 2011.
|Subject||% Passed in 2009||% Passed in 2010||% Passed in 2011|
The federal four-year graduation rate for Henrico Public Schools is 80%, and its 2010 dropout rate was 3.36%.
|Subject||2009 Nat'l||2010Nat'l||2009 VA||2010 VA||2009 Henrico||2010 Henrico|
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Henrico County Public Schools as having a student population of 49,407 and 67 schools in the division.
Henrico County Public School Division made AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
Statistics for the 20 largest schools in the division are tabulated below.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Brookland Middle||6 - 8||1,125||No|
|Deep Run High||9 - 12||1,967||Yes|
|Douglas S. Freeman High||9 - 12||1,689||Yes|
|Elko Middle||6 - 8||885||Yes|
|Fairfield Middle||6 - 8||820||Yes|
|George H. Moody Middle||6 - 8||1,015||No|
|Harry F. Byrd Middle||6 - 8||1,106||No|
|Henrico High||9 - 12||1,985||Yes|
|Hermitage High||9 – 12||2,102||Yes|
|Highland Springs High||9 - 12||1,794||Yes|
|Hungary Creek Middle||6 - 8||945||No|
|John Randolphtucker High||9 - 12||1,711||Yes|
|John Rolfe Middle||6 - 8||1,019||No|
|L. Douglas Wilder Middle||6 - 8||880||No|
|Mills E. Godwin High||9 - 12||1849||Yes|
|Pocahontas Middle||6 - 8||840||Yes|
|Shady Grove Elementary||Pre-K - 5||759||Yes|
|Short Pump Middle||6 - 8||1,007||Yes|
|Tuckahoe Middle||6 - 8||1,197||Yes|
|Varina High||9 - 12||2,072||Yes|
- Henrico County Public Schools Official Website
- Henrico County Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Virginia Department of Education "Report Card," Accessed December 8, 2011
- ↑ Henrico Public Schools "School Board," Accessed December 8, 2011
- ↑ Henrico Public Schools "BoardDocs," Accessed December 8, 2011
- ↑ Henrico Public Schools "Board Policies: P4-01-008," Accessed December 8, 2011
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Henrico Public Schools "Budget," Accessed December 8, 2011
- ↑ Henrico Public Schools "Research & Planning," Accessed December 8, 2011
- ↑ Henrico County "Purchasing," Accessed December 8, 2011
- ↑ Henrico County, Tax revenues, Accessed: Dec. 13, 2012
- ↑ Public Records, Accessed: Dec. 13, 2012
- ↑ ‘Henrico County Public Schools’, School Board, June 28, 2010
- ↑ 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- ↑ Henrico County Public Schools, "Budget," Accessed December 3, 2013
- ↑ 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ↑ Henrico Public Schools "SAT Scores," Accessed December 8, 2011
- ↑ Department of Education’, Henrico County Public Schools, June 28, 2010
- ↑ 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- ↑ 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010