|Transparency grading process|
Hilo is an unincorporated population center in Hawaii, under the governmental jurisdiction of Hawaii County. Hilo is also the county seat. Hawaii County is one of 5 counties in Hawaii. The 2000 Census estimated the county's population at 148,677. The county seat is Hilo. There are no incorporated cities in Hawaii County.
Hawaii County has a mayor-council form of municipal government. Executive authority is vested in the mayor, elected by the voters on a nonpartisan basis to a four-year term. Legislative authority is vested in the nine-member County Council, each of whose members represent a district. Members of the County Council are elected on a nonpartisan basis to two-year terms. The current Mayor of Hawaiʻi County is William P. Kenoi.
- Council members' contact information and expenditure reports are available.
- Committee and council meeting dates are listed with agendas and minutes, as well as a schedule for airing on Government Access Television.
- There is a downloadable application for Hawaii County Boards and Commissions positions.
- There is a good deal of information on negotiated contracts and limited scope performance audits.
- You can look up any property in the county and find its property tax rates.
- Budget information is online but incomplete and out of date.
- There is no online checkbook register.
- There is a lot of useful information on this website, but it is hard to navigate. It takes a lot of time and troubleshooting to sift through this website, and this can be discouraging when looking for information. For an example of useful but hard to find information, the link to department audit informations is found at the following link.
- There is very little information on lobbying.
- If there is information on open records requests, it is not readily available.
- The tax information is there, but very hard to find. Here is the link.
|1||Dominic Yagong||(808) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|2||Donald Ikeda||(808) email@example.com|
|3||J. Yoshimoto||(808) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|4||Dennis “Fresh” Onishi||(808) email@example.com|
|5||Fred Blas||(808) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|6||Brittany Smart||(808) email@example.com|
|7||Brenda Ford||(808) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|8||K. Angel Pilago||(808) email@example.com|
|9||Pete Hoffmann||(808) firstname.lastname@example.org|
County Clerk's Office
|Agency or Division||Title||Name||Phone||Link|
|OFFICE OF THE COUNTY CLERK||COUNTY CLERK||Jamae Kawauchi||(808) 961-8255||http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/directory/dir_clerk.htm|
|OFFICE OF THE COUNTY CLERK||DEPUTY COUNTY CLERK||Rodney Oshiro||(808) 961-8255||http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/directory/dir_clerk.htm|
|Council District Staff||http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/directory/dir_clerk.htm|
|Council Services Section||http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/directory/dir_clerk.htm|
|Council Committees Section||http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/directory/dir_clerk.htm|
|Elections Division||(808) 961-8277||http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/elections/index.html|
|Legislative Research Branch||(808) 961-8387||http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/directory/dir_clerk.htm|
|Legislative Auditor’s Office||(808) 961-8386||http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/la/reports.html|
- Main article: Hawaii government sector lobbying
In 2009, the county had one registered lobbyist and had spent no money for the year. As of June 2011, the last date for which information is available with the Hawaii State Ethics Commission, Hawaii County did not have a registered lobbyist with the state.
No lobbying information was found for Hawaii County with opensecrets.org.
- County of Hawaii
- Department of Parks and Recreation
- Property Tax Office
- Hawaii County on E-Reference
- Hawaii County Finance Department
- Hawaii County on Epodunk
- Hawaii County Council Information
- Agendas and Actions
- Government Access Television Schedule
- Application for Hawaii County Boards and Commissions Open Positions
- Contracts and Audits
- Property Tax Search (dead link)
- Budget Message
- Audit Information
- County Tax Information (dead link)
- Hawaii State Ethics Commission - Lobbying expenditure reported by organization