Attorney General of Idaho
|Idaho Attorney General|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$18,725,400|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Idaho Constitution, Article IV, Section 1|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other Idaho Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Director of Lands • Labor Director • Public Utilities Commission|
The current and 32nd attorney general is Lawrence Wasden, a Republican, who was first elected on November 5, 2002, and re-elected in 2006 and 2010. Wasden's third term began on January 3, 2011, and will end on January 5, 2015. He will come up for re-election in 2014.
Wasden has had a 22 year career in the Idaho attorney general's office, serving in roles such as chief of staff to the attorney general, deputy chief of staff and deputy attorney general for the Idaho State Tax Commission. He has also served as a deputy prosecuting attorney in Canyon County, ID, and as a prosecuting attorney in Owyhee County, ID.
The office of attorney general is established in the Idaho Constitution.
The executive department shall consist of a governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, state controller, state treasurer, attorney general and superintendent of public instruction, each of whom shall hold his office for four years
- at least 30 old
- a member of the Idaho bar in good standing
- a United States citizen
- a resident of Idaho at least two years prior to the election
No person shall be eligible ... to the office of attorney general unless he shall have attained the age of thirty years, and have been admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the state or territory of Idaho, and be in good standing at the time of his election. In addition to the qualifications above described each of the officers named shall be a citizen of the United States and shall have resided within the state or territory two years next preceding his election.
Idaho elects attorneys general to four year terms in federal midterm election years, that is, even years that are not presidential election years. Thus, 2006, 2010, 2014, and 2018 are all election years. Winners take office on the first Monday in the January following an election. Thus, January 3, 2011 and January 5, 2015 are inaugural days.
If two candidates ever tie in the general election, a joint session of the legislature chooses the winner by a majority vote.
- See also: States with gubernatorial term limits
- See also: Idaho Attorney General election, 2010
- 2010 Race for Attorney General - Republican Primary and General Election
- Lawrence Wasden ran unopposed in both contests
|2006 Race for Attorney General - Republican Primary |
|Lawrence Wasden (R)||73.7%|
|Myron Dan Gabbert (R)||26.3%|
|2006 Race for Attorney General - General Election |
|Lawrence Wasden (R)||61.8%|
|Robert A. Wallace (D)||38.2%|
|2002 Race for Attorney General - Republican Primary |
|Lawrence Wasden (R)||32.2%|
|Michael Bogert (R)||30.5%|
|Todd Lakey (R)||23.5%|
|Myron Dan Gabbert (R)||13.8%|
|2002 Race for Attorney General - General Election |
|Lawrence Wasden (R)||58.1%|
|R. Keith Roark (D)||41.9%|
Per Article IV, Section 6 of the Idaho Constitution, the governor appoints a replacement to any state office where a vacancy occurs, subject to the approval of the Idaho Senate. The appointee serves until the next general election.
The attorney general acts as the state's primary legal counsel; it represents Idaho in legal matters and issues formal legal opinions on policy issues to state agencies and the legislature. The attorney general's office also runs a variety of programs to reduce types of serious crime, including child sexual abuse, Medicaid fraud, and others.
- Chief Deputy
- Assistant Chief Deputy
- Civil Litigation Division
- Consumer Protection Division
- Contracts and Administrative Law Division
- Criminal Law Division
- Human Services Division
- Intergovernmental and Fiscal Law Division
- Natural Resources Division
- Administration and Budget Division
- Office Statistics
The budget for the Office of the Attorney General in Fiscal Year 2013 was $18,725,400.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
The attorney general's compensation is determined by law.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Attorney General of Idaho has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Idaho + Attorney + General
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Idaho Attorney General Warns Non-Profits Of Donation Scam - KMVT
- Former Boise aquarium directors headed to federal prison - The Idaho Statesman
- Sheriff Says Lawmaker Inappropriately Got Legal Advice from Attorney General - Twin Falls Times-News
- Same-Sex Couples Sue Idaho Over State Ban on Gay Marriage - Bloomberg
- Idaho Freedom Foundation downplays Rep. Mark Patterson email's timing - The Spokesman Review
- Missing New Hampshire Teen Abigail Hernandez Sent Mom Letter - East Idaho News
- Nampa insurance agent, councilman guilty of fraud - KHQ Right Now
- Idaho judge rules man convicted of killing Beaumont boy was competent - San Bernardino Sun
- Shoshone-Bannock tribe seeks to have own 911 system: Yet state won't fund ... - Idaho State Journal
- Arizona air base hosts Idaho, Singapore pilots - MyFox Phoenix
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Office of the Attorney General
700 West State Street
Boise, ID 83720-0010
- ↑ Office of the Idaho Attorney General, "Bio," accessed September 29, 2011.
- ↑ Idaho Secretary of State Election Division - 2006 Primary Election Results
- ↑ Idaho Secretary of State Election Division - 2006 General Election Results
- ↑ Idaho Secretary of State Election Division - 2002 Primary Election Results
- ↑ Idaho Secretary of State Election Division - 2002 General Election Results
- ↑ Budget Publications, “State of Idaho 2012 Legislative Fiscal Report for Fiscal Year 2013,” 6.17, accessed June 20, 2013.
State of Idaho
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Lands | Director of Labor | Public Utilities Commission |