Idaho Director of Insurance
|Idaho Director of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$8,163,300|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Idaho Statutes, 41-202|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Assumed office:||January 2, 2007|
|Other Idaho Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Director of Lands • Labor Director • Public Utilities Commission|
The current director is William "Bill" Deal, who first took office on January 2, 2007, following his appointment by Governor Butch Otter. Deal's first term ended in January 2011, when he was re-appointed by Otter to a second term. Deal's second term will end in January 2015.
Before becoming director, Deal served eight terms in the Idaho House of Representatives from 1990 to 2007. He was also the chairman of the board for the Idaho State Insurance Fund and a member of the Idaho Endowment Investment Board. Deal claims 46 years of experience in the insurance industry; for much of that time, he was owner and managing partner of the W.W. Deal Insurance Agency in Nampa, ID.
The office of director of insurance is created by state law.
Idaho Statutes, 41-202
(1) The director of the department of insurance shall be the chief executive officer of the department of insurance.
Directors of insurance must be qualified electors in Idaho, i.e. at least 18 years old and a legal resident of the state, and must have had at least "five years' practical experience in one or more of the types of insurance business subject to regulation by the director." If a potential director lacks insurance industry experience, he must "have had other professional or business experience reasonably adequate ... to equip him to discharge the duties ... of the office of director."
Idaho Statutes, 41-202
(3) The governor shall not appoint as director any individual, and no individual shall hold the office of director, who is not qualified therefore as follows:
Idaho Statutes, 41-202
((2) The director shall be appointed by the governor and shall hold office for a term of four (4) years, subject to earlier removal by the governor.
There are no term limits associated with the office of director.
The director is the administrative head and chief executive of the Idaho Department of Insurance, the state agency tasked with regulating Idaho's insurance industry. State law permits him to "conduct such examinations and investigations of insurance matters ... as he may deem proper to determine whether any person has violated any provision of [insurance law]."
In practice, the department enforces regulations through investigations, orders, and disciplinary actions. It also provides "consumer alerts" and collects and processes complaints against the state's insurance companies. The Department of Insurance also holds the office of State Fire Marshal, who is responsible for preventing and investigating fire incidents.
- Company Activities
- Company Examinations
- Consumer Services
- Consumer Assistance
- Producer Licensing
- Health Care Policy/Program
- Investigations/Insurance Fraud
- State Fire Marshal
- Fire Prevention Deputy Fire Marshals
- Fire Investigation Deputy Fire Marshals
- Idaho Fire Incident Reporting System Manager
The budget for the Department of Insurance in Fiscal Year 2013 was $8,163,300.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Idaho Director of Insurance has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Idaho + Director + Insurance
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Idaho's Health Insurance Exchange Director Is Pleased With Initial Enrollment - Boise State Public Radio
- Idaho Health Insurance Exchange contract review complete - KTVB
- Idaho mulling whether to extend insurance policies - KTVB
- Exchange website to be upgraded; no word on Idaho extending deadline for ... - IdahoReporter.com
- NYT: On health exchanges, premiums may be low, but other costs can be high - NBCNews.com
- Idaho Extends Health Insurance Deadline - Twin Falls Times-News
- Idaho likely to decide Monday on insurance extensions - KBOI-TV
- Insurance agents feeling left out of "Obamacare" - The Idaho Statesman
- Stapilus: Voters Need to Be More Informed When They Are Voting for Judges - Twin Falls Times-News
- Gay partner benefits growing at Fortune 500 firms - KHQ Right Now
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
700 West State Street
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720
Phone: (208) 334-4250
Fax: (208) 334-4398
- ↑ Idaho Department of Insurance, "About Director Bill Deal," accessed October 3, 2011.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Idaho Statutes, "41-202," accessed October 3, 2011.
- ↑ Idaho Statutes, "41-210," accessed October 3, 2011.
- ↑ Idaho Department of Insurance, "Contact Us," accessed October 3, 2011.
- ↑ Budget Publications, “State of Idaho 2012 Legislative Fiscal Report for Fiscal Year 2013,” 5.27, accessed June 20, 2013.