Idaho Director of Labor
|Idaho Director of Labor|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$5,723,200|
|Length of term:||Serves at the governor's pleasure|
|Authority:||Idaho Statutes, 72-1333|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Assumed office:||November 25, 2013|
|Other Idaho Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Director of Lands • Labor Director • Public Utilities Commission|
The current director of labor is Ken Edmunds. Edmunds was appointed to fill the vacancy left by the resignation of longtime officeholder Roger Madsen on November 15, 2013. Governor Butch Otter (R) appointed Edmunds to replace Madsen as director, effective November 25, 2013. Edmunds now faces confirmation by the Idaho Senate, which is out of session until January 2014.
The office of director is established by state law.
Idaho Statutes, 72-1333
(1) The director shall administer the employment security law ... the minimum wage law ... and shall perform such other duties relating to labor and workforce development as may be imposed upon him by law.
There are no particular qualifications for the office of director, but state law requires that the governor "select each director on the basis of his professional and administrative knowledge and experience."
There are no term limits associated with the office of director.
The director is the administrative head of the Idaho Department of Labor, the state agency charged with administering the state's labor regulations, as well as its unemployment insurance and workforce development programs. Additionally, the department produces statistics and research regarding the state's labor market.
- Admin Services
- Unemployment Insurance
- Communications and Research
- Regional Offices (1-6)
- Workforce Development
The budget for the Department of Labor in Fiscal Year 2013 was $5,723,200.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Idaho Director of Labor has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Idaho + Director + of + Labor
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
317 W. Main Street
Boise, ID 83735
Phone: (208) 332-3570
Fax: (208) 334-6300
- Idaho Department of Labor, " Agency History," accessed June 15, 2013
- The Spokesman-Review, "Otter names Ken Edmunds to replace retiring Roger Madsen as Labor chief," November 15, 2013
- Boise Weekly.com, "Labor Department Director Will Be Jobless Soon... He's Retiring," August 11, 2013
- Office of the Governor of Idaho, "News release: KEN EDMUNDS NAMED NEW IDAHO DEPARTMENT OF LABOR DIRECTOR," November 15, 2013
- Idaho Statutes, "72-1333," accessed October 4, 2011
- Idaho Statutes, "67-2404," accessed October 4, 2011
- Idaho Department of Labor, " Agency Summary," accessed June 15, 2013
- Idaho Department of Labor, "Organizational Chart," accessed October 4, 2011
- ‘Budget Publications’’’ “State of Idaho 2012 Legislative Fiscal Report for Fiscal Year 2013,” 5.31, accessed June 20, 2013
- The Council of State Governments, "Book of the States 2013, Table 4.11," accessed February 2, 2014