For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Idaho Director of Lands
|Idaho Director of Lands|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$46,137,600|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the Idaho Board of Land Commissioners|
|Authority:||Idaho Statutes, 58-105|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the Idaho Board of Land Commissioners|
|Assumed office:||September 26, 2011|
|Other Idaho Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Director of Lands • Labor Director • Public Utilities Commission|
The current director is Tom Schultz, who was appointed by the Idaho Board of Land Commissioners on August 23, 2011, to replace outgoing director George Bacon. As the director serves at the pleasure of the board of land commissioners, Schultz is not subject to periodic reappointment.
Before becoming director of lands, Schultz was the Trust Land Division administrator for Montana's Department of Natural Resources and Conservation from 1991 to 2011. He is a former U.S. Air Force officer and holds a bachelor's degree in government from the University of Virginia, a master's degree in political science from the University of Wyoming, and a master's in forestry from the University of Montana.
The office of director of lands is established by state law.
Idaho Statutes, 58-105
The supreme executive power of the state is vested in the governor, who shall see that the laws are faithfully executed.
State law does not require any particular qualifications of the director of lands.
The director of lands is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the Idaho Board of Land Commissioners, a five-person body made up of other state executives. The board includes the governor, secretary of state, attorney general, controller and the superintendent of public instruction.
Idaho Statutes, 58-124
The state board of land commissioners shall appoint the director of the department
There is no particular vacancy procedure for the office of director of lands.
- See Energy policy in Idaho for information on the state's energy portfolio and goals.
The director is the executive head of the Idaho Department of Lands, which oversees the state's land endowment trusts. The trusts, in turn, provide revenue for various state government programs; the majority of accruals go to supporting Idaho's public school system.
- Lands, Minerals, Range
- Cottage Sites
- Wind Energy
- Commercial/Surface Leashing
- Navigable Waters
- Oil & Gas
- See also: Idaho state budget and finances
The budget for the Department of Lands in Fiscal Year 2013 was $46,137,600.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Idaho Director of Lands has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Idaho + Director + of + Lands
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
300 North 6th Street, Suite 103
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720
Phone: (208) 334-0200
Fax: (208) 334-5342
- Office of the Governor of Idaho, "MONTANA LAND MANAGER NAMED TO LEAD IDAHO DEPARTMENT OF LANDS," August 23, 2011
- Idaho Statutes, "58-105," accessed October 3, 2011
- Idaho Statutes, "58-124," accessed October 3, 2011
- Idaho Department of Lands, "Contact Us," accessed October 3, 2011
- Budget Publications, “State of Idaho 2012 Legislative Fiscal Report for Fiscal Year 2013,” 4.27," accessed June20, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed November 14, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "Book of the States 2013, Table 4.11," accessed February 2, 2014