Idaho State Senate District 19
|Idaho State Senate District 19|
|Current incumbent||Cherie Buckner-Webb|
|Ethnicity||1.2% Black, 4% Hispanic|
|Voting age||81.2% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 40,219 civilians reside within Idaho's nineteenth state senate district. Idaho state senators represent an average of 44,788 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 36,970 residents.
About the chamber
Article III, Section 6 of the Idaho Constitution states: No person shall be a senator or representative who, at the time of his election, is not a citizen of the United States, and an elector of this state, nor anyone who has not been for one year next preceding his election an elector of the county or district whence he may be chosen.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Idaho legislature are paid $16,438/year. Legislators receive $122/day per diem if living outside of Boise or $49/day if living inside Boise. Additionally, all members are eligible for actual travel reimbursement between their home districts and the Capitol as prescribed by the Citizen’s Committee on Legislative Compensation.
The Governor is responsible for filling all vacancies in the senate.
The political party committee that last held the vacant seat has 15 days after the vacancy to submit a list of three recommended candidates to the Governor. The Governor makes the selection based on the recommendations.
If any party committee fails to submit a list of recommended candidates after the 15 day deadline, the Governor has 5 days to appoint a person from the political party that last held the seat. The person appointed to the seat serves for the remainder of the unfilled term.
- See also: Idaho State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Idaho State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place May 20, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Incumbent Cherie Buckner-Webb was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Tony Snesko was unopposed in the Republican primary. Buckner-Webb will face Snesko in the general election.
- See also: Idaho State Senate elections, 2012
Elections for the office of Idaho State Senate consisted of a primary election on May 15, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 9, 2012. Cherie Buckner-Webb (D) defeated Paul Nelson O'Leary (R) in the general election. Neither candidate faced opposition in their primary.
|Idaho State Senate, District 19, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Paul Nelson O'Leary||30%||6,755|
Since 2000, candidates for Idaho State Senate District 19 have raised a total of $314,333. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $19,646 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Idaho State Senate District 19|
- publicmapping.org, "Idaho 2010 Census Statistics," accessed October 3, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Idaho Legislature, "Idaho Statutes," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 59-904A)
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 12, 2014
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 7, 2014
- "Secretary of State - Official Primary Results," accessed October 3, 2013
- "Idaho Secretary of State - Official 2012 General Election Results," accessed October 3, 2013