Idaho Superintendent of Public Instruction
|Idaho Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$46,389,900|
|Length of term:||4|
|Authority:||Idaho Constitution, Article IV, Section 1|
|Assumed office:||January 1, 2007|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other Idaho Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Director • Director of Lands • Labor Director • Public Utilities Commission|
The current superintendent is Tom Luna, a Republican, who was first elected in November 2006 and took office on January 1, 2007. Luna was re-elected in 2010 and began his second term on January 3, 2011. He will come up for re-election in 2014 and his current term will end on January 5, 2015.
Before becoming superintendent, Luna served as president of Scales Unlimited Incorporated, a manufacturer of commercial scales and weighing equipment. He was also an adviser to former U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige from 2003 to 2005. Luna holds a bachelor's degree from Thomas Edison State College. He and his wife, Cindy, have six children.
The office of superintendent is established by the Idaho Constitution.
The executive department shall consist of a governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, state controller, state treasurer, attorney general and superintendent of public instruction, each of whom shall hold his office for four years
There are no particular qualifications for the office of superintendent, though the officeholder must take an oath of office and is subject to a surety bond dependent on his good conduct. The bond's premiums are paid by the state treasury. In the case of misconduct, the bond is forfeited to the state.
Idaho elects superintendents to four year terms in federal midterm election years, that is, even years that are not presidential election years. Thus, 2006, 2010, 2014, and 2018 are all election years. Winners take office on the first Monday in the January following an election. Thus, January 3, 2011 and January 5, 2015 are inaugural days.
If two candidates ever tie in the general election, a joint session of the legislature chooses the winner by a majority vote.
- See also: States with gubernatorial term limits
Per Article IV, Section 6 of the Idaho Constitution, the governor appoints a replacement to any state office where a vacancy occurs, subject to the approval of the Idaho Senate. The appointee serves until the next general election.
The superintendent is the administrative head of the Idaho Department of Education, which operates the state's public school system. He is also responsible for implementing the policies of the state Board of Education.
- Content, Innovation and Choice
- School Support Services
- Finance, Child Nutrition and Student Transportation
- Student Achievement and School Improvement
- Communications and Government Affairs
The budget for the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction in Fiscal Year 2013 was $46,389,900.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Idaho Superintendent of Public Instruction has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Idaho + Superintendent + Public + Instruction
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Idaho Democrat Balukoff opened wallet to GOP - The Idaho Statesman
- Idaho governor defends openness, goals of Common Core - The Idaho Statesman
- Luna's Proposed STEM and Physical Education Requirements Head to Legislature - Idaho State Journal
- PERSI: Pension deficit is $1.4 billion; State Budget Solutions: No, it is $13 ... - IdahoReporter.com
- Read the letter from Idaho's education chairmen about Common Core - The Idaho Statesman
- Idaho Lawmakers Prepare For Education Fight In 2014 - NW News Network
- A.J. Balukoff Launches Gubernatorial Campaign: 'We Can Do Better' - Boise Weekly
- Applicants sought for State Board of Education - Coeur d'Alene Press
- Governor Otter Sets Dec. 9 Deadline for State Board of Education Applications - Idaho State Journal
- WestViews: Can Idaho fix its schools without having preschools? - The Idaho Statesman
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- ↑ Project VoteSmart, "Bio of Tom Luna," accessed September 29, 2011.
- ↑ Idaho Statutes, "67-1501," accessed September 29, 2011.
- ↑ Idaho Department of Education, "Divisions," accessed September 29, 2011.
- ↑ Budget Publications, “State of Idaho 2012 Legislative Fiscal Report for Fiscal Year 2013,” 1.57, accessed June 20, 2013.
State of Idaho
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Lands | Director of Labor | Public Utilities Commission |