Illinois Abolish Lieutenant Governor Amendment (2010)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
Traditionally the lieutenant governor becomes governor in Illinois if the current governor leaves or is removed from office. According to the filed proposal, the attorney general would have become the successor of the governor's office. The changes, if they had been approved by voters, would have taken effect in 2015.
The State Journal-Register supported placing the proposed amendment on the statewide ballot, but did not endorsed the amendment itself. In a March 2010 editorial, the board said,"Voters deserve to know that the person who would assume the governorship is compatible with the person they elected to the state’s highest office. Yet we also are sympathetic with those who believe the lieutenant governor’s office, as currently defined, is a do-nothing position that should be eliminated to save money. We think Illinoisans who believe this should be allowed to say so at the polls in November...The General Assembly should approve both, sending the constitutional amendment to the voters in November and the Raoul bill to Gov. Pat Quinn for his signature."
Path to the ballot
- See also: How to amend the Illinois Constitution
If both the House and the Senate approved the proposed amendment the measure would have appeared on the November 2010 statewide ballot. On February 24, 2010 a House Committee approved the proposed measure with a vote of 8-0. The measure remained pending in the House. The legislative session ended May 12 without referring the measure to the ballot.
- The Daily Herald,"Madigan plan to abolish lieutenant governor office advances," February 24, 2010
- Journal-Courier,"Does Illinois need a lieutenant governor?," February 15, 2010
- Southtown Star,"Mike Madigan: Abolish lt. gov. post," February 11, 2010
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch,"Ill. House committee moves to eliminate troubled ‘lite gov’ office," February 24, 2010
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch,"Michael Madigan proposes doing away with Illinois lieutenant governor's job," February 11, 2010
- The Statehouse Journal-Register,"Our Opinion: Let voters decide lt. governor issue," March 4, 2010
- Pantagraph,"Proposal to abolish lieutenant governor passes early test," February 24, 2010
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |