Illinois House of Representatives District 16
|Illinois House of Representatives District 16|
|Current incumbent||Lou Lang|
|Ethnicity||9% Black, 13.7% Hispanic|
|Voting age||75.8% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 105,607 civilians reside within Illinois' sixteenth state house district. Illinois state representatives represent an average of 108,734 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 105,248 residents.
About the chamber
Article IV of the Illinois Constitution states: To be eligible to serve as a member of the General Assembly, a person must be a United States citizen, at least 21 years old, and for the two years preceding his election or appointment a resident of the district which he is to represent.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Illinois House of Representatives are paid $67,836/year. Additionally, legislators receive $111/day per diem.
Whenever there is a vacancy in the House, the state constitution mandates that the seat must be filled by appointment when allowed by law. The appointment must be made within 30 days after the vacancy. All vacancies must be filled by a member of the same political party that last held the seat.
The vacancy must be filled by the respective party organizations covering the vacant seat. The respective committeemen and committeewomen from the party organization representing the vacant district must vote on a replacement. The person selected to the seat serves for the remainder of the unfilled term.
Elections for the office of Illinois House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on March 20, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 5, 2011. Incumbent Lou Lang (D) defeated Vincent William Romano (R) in the general election. Neither candidate faced opposition in their primary.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 16, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Lou Lang Incumbent||68.1%||22,281|
|Republican||William Vincent Romano||31.9%||10,431|
- ↑ publicmapping.org, "Illinois 2010 Census Statistics," accessed October 9, 2013
- ↑ NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- ↑ Illinois General Assembly "Illinois Constitution"(Referenced Section Article IV, Section 2(d))
- ↑ Illinois General Assembly "Illinois Election Code"(Referenced Statute 10 ILCS 5/25 6 (a), (c))
- ↑ Illinois General Assembly "Illinois Election Code"(Referenced Statute 10 ILCS 5/25 6 (d))
- ↑ "Illinois State Board of Elections - Official Primary Election Results," accessed October 9, 2013
- ↑ "Illinois State Board of Elections - Official General Election Results," accessed October 9, 2013
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |