For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Illinois government sector lobbying
- 1 Counties
- 2 Schools
- 3 Police
- 4 Transparency
- 5 Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations
- 6 See also
- 7 References
This practice is controversial because public funds are spent to lobby for an agenda not subject to direct approval by voters, and outcomes may be contrary to taxpayers' benefit.
A report from the Illinois Campaign for Political Reform found that Illinois governments spent nearly $6.4 million to influence their own state government in 2009. The money was spent by cities, counties and other public bodies to lobby the Illinois state legislature and other agencies in state government.
- Main article: Illinois counties lobbying
Sunshine Review conducted an investigation that uncovered over $6.2 million dollars in lobbying spending by the ten most populous Illinois counties between 2005-2010. The counties are:
Sunshine Review found that most counties were lobbying the state of Illinois as well as the federal government: of the $6.2 million, $2,032,081.78 was spent on lobbying Illinois and $3,396,315.29 on lobbying the federal government.
It is unclear what is being lobbied for besides general appropriations. The federal lobbying reports of Cook County show that the county is primarily concerned with obtaining federal money, not with promoting or opposing other legislation.
Fifteen public community colleges and universities spent more than $1 million with lobbyists on contract in 2009. The City Colleges of Chicago spent the most, contracting with four lobbying firms for a total of $190,986.
The Illinois State Police has lobbying representation from lobbyist John J. Kelly, Jr. The 2009 contract between the State Police and Kelly was for $50,004.
The Illinois Policy Institute think tank recommends that Illinois follow Minnesota's approach to transparency in government sector lobbying. The state auditor in Minnesota tracks and posts all spending on in-state lobbying by local governments.
Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations
City and municipal
- Illinois Municipal League
- Northwest Municipal Conference
- Illinois City/County Management Association (Also listed under "County")
- Illinois Association of Municipal Management Assistants
- Southwest Illinois City Management Association
- Illinois Association of County Assessment Officers
- Illinois Association of County Auditors
- Illinois Association of County Board Members
- Illinois Association of County Clerks and Recorders
- Illinois Association of County Officials
- Illinois City/County Management Association (Also listed under "City and municipal")
- Illinois County Treasurers Association
- Lake County Municipal League
- Lake County Transportation Alliance
- Metro Counties of Illinois
- United Counties Council of Illinois
- Illinois Association of County Zoning Officials
- Illinois Association of County Engineers
- Illinois Association of Circuit Court Clerks
- [[Illinois State Bar Association]]
- Illinois Probation & Court Services Association
Public health and care
- Illinois Association of Public Health Administrators
- Illinois Council on Long Term Care
- Illinois Homecare Council
- Illinois State Ambulance Association
- County Nursing Home Association of Illinois
- Illinois Coroners and Medical Examiners Association
- DuPage Mayors and Management Conference
- South Suburban Mayors & Managers Association
- Illinois Association of Regional Superintendents of Schools
- Illinois Association of School Boards
- Illinois Association of School Administrators
- Illinois Association of Regional Superintendents
Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations
- Illinois Counties Solid Waste Management Association
- Community Behavioral Healthcare Association of Illinois
- County Animal Control of Illinois
- Illinois Association for Floodplain and Storm Water Management
- Illinois Council of Convention and Visitor Bureaus
- Illinois Government Finance Officers Association
- Illinois Tax Increment Association
- "Public Bodies Spent $6.4 Million Lobbying State Government," Illinois Campaign for Political Reform
- "$6.4 Million in Taxpayer-Funded Lobbying," Illinois Policy Institute, May 24, 2010 (dead link)
- Governments Lobbying State Government, Illinois Campaign for Political Reform, 2010 (dead link) (PDF)
- 2010 2010 Legislators' Guide to the Issues: Taxpayer-funded lobbying (dead link)(PDF)