|U.S. House, Illinois, District 10|
In February 2012, the grassroots organization Democracy for America, founded by Howard Dean, named Sheyman one of the top 10 progressive candidates in the 2012 U.S. House races. Sheyman was defeated by Brad Schneider in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012.
Sheyman first arrived in Illinois with his family over two decades ago as a Jewish refugee from the former Soviet Union. Sheyman graduated from McGill University with a joint degree in Political Science and United States History.
- 2006-2008: Democracy for America
- National Mobilization Director at MoveOn.org
- Co-Founder, Patriots for Peace
On his campaign website Sheyman had 14 leading issues that he was concerned about. They were:
- Putting the American People Back to Work
- Standing up for the Middle Class
- Defending Health and Retirement Security
- Education – Investing in America’s Future
- Keeping People in Their Homes
- Criminal Justice Reform
- Ending the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq
- Meaningful Immigration Reform
- Honoring Our Troops
- Leadership Toward Middle East Peace
- Energy and the Environment
- Defending a Woman’s Right to Choose
- Commitment to Equality
- Repairing our Broken Electoral System
Sheyman was endorsed by MoveOn, the Progressive Change Campaign Committee (PCCC) and Howard Dean.
Sheyman ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Illinois' 10th District. Sheyman sought the nomination on the Democratic ticket. The signature filing deadline was December 27, 2011, with the primary taking place on March 20, 2012. Incumbent Robert Dold ran for re-election on the Republican ticket.
Sheyman and candidates Vivek Bavda and John Tree were defeated by Brad Schneider in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012. Incumbent Robert Dold ran unopposed in the Republican primary. Dold was defeated by Schneider in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|U.S. House, Illinois District 10 Democratic Primary, 2012|
- Illinois' 10th Congressional District
- Illinois' 10th Congressional District elections, 2012
- United States House of Representatives
- Campaign Website
- Sheyman's Flickr Account
- Sheyman's YouTube Channel
- Ilya Sheyman's Twitter Account
- Sheyman for Congress Facebook Account
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |