Independence School District elections (2014)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Independence School District
Jackson County, Missouri ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Missouri
Two seats on the Independence School District school board were up for general election on April 8, 2014.
About the district
- See also: Independence School District, Missouri
Independence underperformed the state average in comparison to the rest of Missouri in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 17.4 percent of Independence residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 25.8 percent for Missouri as a whole. The median household income in Independence was $44,847 compared to $51,529 for the state of Missouri. The poverty rate in Independence was 16.1 percent compared to 15.0 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Independence School District Board of Education consists of seven members elected to six-year terms with all seats elected at-large. There was no primary election, and the general election was held on April 8, 2014. Two at-large seats were on the ballot in 2014, two seats will be up for election in 2015 and the remaining three seats will appear on the ballot in 2016.
The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was January 28, 2014.
- Denise Fears
- Incumbent board member
Denise Fears and Blake Roberson defeated two challengers in the general election on April 8, 2014.
|Independence School District, At-Large General Election, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Blake Roberson Incumbent||44.1%||6,067|
|Nonpartisan||Unofficial Write in Votes||0.5%||66|
|Source: Jackson County Election Authority, "APRIL 8, 2014 GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION RESULTS," accessed April 9, 2014|
No candidate received an endorsement in this election.
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the Missouri Ethics Commission.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
Two seats on the school board were up for election on April 8, 2014.
Issues in the district
Accepting students from unaccredited districts
The Independence School District remains undecided on whether it will accept students transferring from the unaccredited Kansas City Public Schools district. It is estimated that 9,000 students from KCPS will be seeking transfers outside of the district after the district lost accreditation in 2011. Independence has a contingency plan to work with the National Student Clearinghouse to assist in enrolling incoming students, assess classroom and school capacity limits and accommodate the influx.
|December 17, 2013||First day for candidate filing|
|January 21, 2014||Last day for candidate filing|
|January 28, 2014||Deadline for entities to certify elections to election authority|
|February 25, 2014||First day for absentee voting|
|April 2, 2014||Last day absentee ballot can be mailed|
|March 12, 2014||Voter registration deadline|
|April 8, 2014||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
The April 8, 2014 general municipal election featured races for local, municipal and school positions.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Independence + School + District + Missouri"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Independence School District, Missouri
- Missouri school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Jackson County, Missouri ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Missouri
- Election preview: More than 100 candidates running in California, Missouri and South Dakota school board elections
- Post-election: Incumbents fare well in Missouri, South Dakota and California school board elections
- United States Census Bureau, "Independence (city), Missouri," accessed February 7, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Jackson County Elections Board, "2014 ELECTION CALENDAR," February 10, 2014
- Independence School District, "Board of Education," accessed February 7, 2014
- Jackson County Missouri Election Board, "2014 ELECTION CALENDAR," accessed February 15, 2014
- Missouri, "Campaign Finance," accessed Feruary 10, 2014
- Brandon Dumsky, Examiner.net, "School officials preparing for uncertain future," January 29, 2014
- Jackson County Missouri Elections Board, "Elections Calendar," accessed February 10, 2014
- Jackson County Elections Board, "Election calendars," accessed February 10, 2014
|2014 Independence School District Elections|
|Election date:||April 8, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Incumbent, Denise Fears • Blake Roberson • Ron Thornbury • Dennis Tharp|
|Important information:||What was at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|