Indiana Commissioner of Insurance
|Indiana Commissioner of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$121,312,969|
|Length of term:||Serves at the governor's pleasure|
|Authority:||Indiana Code, Title 27, Article 1, Chapter 1|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Assumed office:||October 2010|
|Other Indiana Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditors: Auditor • Examiner • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Director • Labor Commissioner • Utility Regulatory Commission|
Title 27, Article 1, Chapter 1 of the Indiana Code addresses the office of insurance commissioner:
The powers, duties, management and control of the department of insurance are hereby conferred on and vested in the "insurance commissioner".
The qualifications to be eligible for insurance commissioner is also spelled out in the Indiana Code:
...shall be familiar with and known to possess a knowledge of the subject of insurance and be skilled in matters pertaining thereto and shall be chosen solely for fitness, irrespective of political beliefs or affiliations.
The insurance commissioner is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the governor.
The insurance commissioner shall be appointed by the governor...The commissioner shall serve and may be removed at the pleasure of the governor, and shall be the chief executive and administrative officer of the department.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Indiana Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The commissioner of insurance is responsible for overseeing the Department of Insurance, which regulates insurance companies operating in Indiana. The insurance commissioner works to promote improvements to insurance laws and the enforcement of said laws in Indiana.
The Department of Insurance, overseen by the commissioner of insurance, is divided into a number of divisions:
- Bail Bonds
- Company Compliance
- Company Services
- Consumer Protection Unit
- Consumer Services
- Financial Services
- Health Issues
- Long-term Care Partnership
- Market Regulation
- Medical Malpractice
- Office Operations
- Producer Licensing
- State Health Insurance Assistance Program
The Department of Insurance's budget was $121,312,969 for the 2013-2014 fiscal year.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Indiana Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Indiana + Insurance + Commissioner
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Indiana says insurers can't reinstate canceled policies - Indianapolis Business Journal
- Insurance commissioners raise concerns about Obama's health care fix - Fox News
- Recent editorials published in Indiana newspapers - Kansas City Star
- Indiana needs to be aggressive on health - Palladium-Item
- Reform Update: MACPAC urges Congress to make sure pregnant women don't ... - ModernHealthcare.com
- Seniors not immune to health insurance plan changes - Palladium-Item
- Carrier updates LTCI commission structure - LifeHealthPro
- No Duty to Defend in Four Loko Lawsuits - Courthouse News Service
- Want to keep your health plan? In most states, you can - NBCNews.com
- Data Mining to Recruit Sick People - Wall Street Journal
The Indiana Department of Insurance
311 West Washington Street, Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN, 46204
Phone: (317) 232-2385
- Insurance Journal, "Robertson Selected to Lead Indiana Insurance Department," October 14, 2010
- Indiana Code, "IC 27-1-1-2," accessed December 14, 2012
- Indiana.gov "Indiana Department of Insurance," Accessed December 14, 2012
- 2013 - 2015 As-Passed Budget, "C--Operating," II-15, accessed June 26, 2013
- The Council of State Governments, "Book of the States 2013, Table 4.11," accessed February 2, 2014.