City-county council members serve four-year terms. There are 29 members; 25 are elected by districts, and the other four are elected by the county at-large.
Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard (R) won re-election in 2011.
|Department||2010 Actual||2011 Adopted||2012 Introduced|
|Other Public Services||$300,837,068||$260,350,390||$178,942,898|
|Executive, Legislative, Admin||$91,561,193||$85,406,971||$80,104,986|
Marion County's income tax rate is 1.62%.
The city has $622.7 million in unrestricted debt, mostly from pension and post-employment benefit obligations.
Mayor Greg Ballard has proposed increasing the mass-transit system in the Indianapolis area, seeking support from state lawmakers.
Indiana Transparency Portal
The Indiana State Auditor has launched an Indiana Transparency Portal (ITP), containing budget and financial information for local governments. The interactive report-builder page offers a range of information. Users can find financial data for a county, municipality or other unit of government.
Because Marion County and Indianapolis have a unified government, it is difficult to compare their unified budget to the ITP database, which has separate information for counties and cities. According to the ITP, Marion County's budget expenditures for 2012 were $293,569,847 and revenues were $305,097,137. Data for the City of Indianapolis does not appear to be available.
- See also: Evaluation of Indiana city websites
|Transparency grading process|
- Elected officials
- Minutes, agendas and schedules are posted for meetings.
- Minutes and agendas are archived for more than three years.
- A directory is posted with contact information for departments and officials.
- Most recent budget is posted. 
- Budgets are archived to 1999.
- Most recent financial audit is posted. 
- Audits are archived to 2002.
- Permits and zoning
- Public records
- There is no information on government sector lobbying.
- Indianapolis Detailed Profile
- Indianapolis links
- City of Indianapolis information
- City of Indianapolis Quick Census facts
- InfoPlease.com "Top 50 Cities in the U.S., "Accessed November 9, 2011
- Official Indianapolis website "CAFR 2010," Accessed November 9, 2011
- Elected Officials
- Indianapolis Star "Greg Ballard wins 2nd term as Indianapolis mayor," Accessed November 9, 2011
- Budget Book
- Indianapolis Star "Ballard rolls out mass transit plan for state lawmakers," Accessed November 9, 2011
- Indiana Gateway for Government Unites "Report Builder," Accessed November 28, 2011
- Ethics Forms
- 2013 Budget
- Marion County Tax Rates
- Tax Payments
- Awarded Bids
- Public Records