Interim Mississippi education official joins charter school board
Jackson, Mississippi: On July 1, 2013, Mississippi's expanded charter school law took effect. One of the requirements of the law is the establishment of the Mississippi Charter School Authorizing Board, a seven member board in charge of determining criteria for charter schools, approving applications and other responsibilities. The law requires that the governor and lieutenant governor each appoint three of the board members. The seventh remaining board member is appointed by the Mississippi Superintendent of Education. Current acting officeholder Lynn House was appointed by the Mississippi Board of Education to act as interim Superintendent of Education in May 2012. She assumed office upon the retirement of Tom Burnham on July 1, 2012.
On August 12, 2013, Governor Phil Bryant made his three appointments to the board. Lieutenant Governor Tate Reeves had not yet announced his appointments. House appointed herself as the seventh member of the board. House consulted with the Mississippi Board of Education before making the decision to fill the position herself. It is likely that she will only serve in the position until a permanent Superintendent of Education is named. The Board of Education has indicated it is likely to make the appointment this fall.
The Mississippi Superintendent of Education is an appointed state executive position in the Mississippi state government. Prior to July 1, 1984 the position was elected.
- Mississippi Superintendent of Education
- Lynn House
- Governor of Mississippi
- Lieutenant Governor of Mississippi
- WDAM 7, "Laurel resident appointed to charter school board," accessed August 15, 2013
- Gulf Live, "AP analysis: Leaders must name board members of Mississippi's new Charter School Authorizing Board," accessed August 15, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Daily Journal, "Interim Miss. education superintendent to serve on charter school board, at least temporarily," accessed August 15, 2013