Iowa City, Iowa
|Transparency grading process|
See also: Evaluation of Iowa city websites
Last rated on an unknown date.
- The most current budget is listed.
- Budgets are archived for 8 years.
- Administrative Officials
- Department heads are listed for each department.
- Contact information for administrative officials is provided including a mailing address, phone number, and personalized email.
- Elected Officials
- Elected officials are listed with a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- The most recent audit is posted.
- Audits dating back to 2003 are available.
- Bids and RFPs are posted online.
- Approved contract statements are provided for vendors.
- Public Records
- The public information officer is identified and maintained by the City Clerk. This person provides a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- A public records form is provided.
- A fee schedule for documents is provided.
- Tax revenues are broken down by federal, state, and local funding in the budget.
- Local taxes, like property taxes, are available online.
- Permits and zoning
While Iowa State Code requires the City to adopt an annual budget, it also regularly produces both a three year financial plan and a five year capital improvement plan. The FY 2012-2013 proposed budget document included a renewed attempt at providing administrative performance measures within the document.
The FY 2012-2012 proposed budget is a balanced budget. It included no new service initiatives, and in fact contains a 3.19% tax levy reduction. The budget proposal expects a 1.0% increase in overall tax receipts, with a 1.4% increase in total revenues. Total expenditures were proposed to rise 2.0% over the previous FY, to $221,589,866. The largest source of this is a 32.8% increase in debt service.
The City elects a seven member City Council, including both a Mayor and a Mayor Pro Tem. Members.
The City's chief administrative officer is the City Manager, a position currently held by Tom Markus. The City Manager's responsibilities include implementing the policies decided upon by the City Council, appointing and supervising the directors of the City's departments, overseeing City contracts, and proposing an annual budget for submission to the City Council.
A City administration organizational chart can be found here.
City employee salaries are provided online by the Iowa Press-Citizen, and can be found here. 2010 data for Iowa City lists 11 employees earning over $100,000 in annual salary. Then-City manager Dale E. Helling received a 2010 salary of $160,014.00.
City employees are required to participate in the Iowa Public Employees Retirement Service. AFSCME, administrative, and confidential employees contribute 5.38% of their base salary to the service. The City contributes 8.07% of each employee's base salary.
Police and fire employees contribute 9.4% of their base salary to the Iowa Public Employees Retirement Service. The City contributes 24.76% of each employee's base salary.
Information on various taxes, including property taxes, sales and use taxes, and a hotel tax are available on the City's website. The proposed FY 2012-2013 budget contains a 3.19% reduction in City property taxes.
Transparency and public records
The City does not provide information regarding taxpayer funded lobbying.
- Iowa City, Financial Plans, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Iowa City, Staff Directory, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Iowa City, Elected Officials, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Iowa City, Meeting Minutes and Agendas, Accessed: Jan 22, 2012
- Iowa City, Archived Meeting Minutes and Agendas, Accessed: Jan 22, 2012
- Iowa City, Audits, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Iowa City, Bids, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Iowa City, Information Request Form, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Iowa City, Taxes, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Iowa City, Lobbying, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Iowa City, Zoning, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Iowa City, Building Permits, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- FY 2013 Proposed Budget
- City Council Members
- City Manager
- 2010 Iowa City Salaries, Iowa Press-Citizen
- FY 2011 Benefits Sheet (dead link)