Iowa Director of Education
|Iowa Director of Education|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012 FY Budget:||$3,431,862,166|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Assumed office:||August 30, 2013|
|Other Iowa Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Secretary of Agriculture • Director of Education • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Director • Labor Commissioner • Utilities Board|
The department was created by the 35th General Assembly in 1913 and was originally called the Department of Public Instruction. The current name was adopted in 1986.
The current officeholder is Brad Buck. Governor Terry Branstad appointed Buck in August 2013. Buck, a rural school superintendent with a background in administration and teaching science, relieved Duane Magee, who had been serving the office in an interim capacity since former director Jason Glass resigned to become superintendent of the Eagle County School District. Buck's appointment will run through the remainder of Glass' unexpired term. His term was not set to expire until 2015, but he left office early in order to become superintendent of the Eagle County School District.
The Iowa Director of Education's powers, term of office, etc. are derived from Iowa Administrative Code, Education Department 281, Chapter 1.3.
Chapter 1, Section 3:
|The director is responsible for exercising general supervision over the state system of public education and nonpublic schools to the extent that is necessary to ascertain compliance with provisions of the Iowa school laws. The director performs the function of executive officer of the state board of education.|
Iowa Administrative Code, Education Department 281, Chapter 1.3. establishes the qualifications of the office:
Chapter 1, Section 3(2):
|The director shall possess a background in education and administrative experience.|
The director is appointed by the Governor for a four-year term and is subject to confirmation by the Iowa State Senate.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Iowa Director of Education has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The director is responsible for providing leadership for the Department of Education. The director also serves as the executive officer of the State Board of Education.
The vision and mission statements of the Department of Education are as follows:
Vision: Iowa students will become productive citizens in a democratic society, and successful participants in a global community.
Mission: Champion excellence for all Iowa students through leadership and service.
The Department of Education is divided into three main units:
- Community Colleges
- PK-12 Education
- School Support & Information
The Department of Education's budget for 2012 was $3,431,862,166.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Iowa Director of Education has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Iowa + Director + Education
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Iowa View: Amazon and America's technological future - DesMoinesRegister.com
- States looking to tighten rules on home care aides - USA TODAY
- STUDY: Iowa has ground to make up in student funding - KTIV
- Iowa Department of Education data looks at where, how bullying occurs - The Gazette: Eastern Iowa Breaking News and Headlines
- Traffic fatalities trend down in Iowa - Quad City Times
- Obradovich: Latham challenger isn't afraid of change - DesMoinesRegister.com
- Iowa refines drug control strategy - Quad City Times
- people in business - Dubuque Telegraph Herald
- Iowa State student wins $20K in Dr. Pepper tuition giveaway - DesMoinesRegister.com (blog)
- Briar Cliff announces faculty endeavors - Sioux City Journal
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Iowa Department of Education
400 E 14th St
Des Moines, IA 50319-0146
- Superintendent of Schools
- Director Brad Buck
- Former Interim Director Duane Magee
- Former Director Jason Glass
- Iowa state executive offices
- ↑ Iowa Department of Education, "Homepage," accessed July 25, 2013
- ↑ Iowa Department of Education, "Press Release: Branstad names Dr. Brad Buck as new Iowa Department of Education director," accessed August 26, 2013
- ↑ Office of the Governor of Iowa Terry Branstad, "Branstad names D.T. Magee as interim director of the Iowa Department of Education," June 18, 2013
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Iowa Department of Education, "Statement from State Board of Education President Rosie Hussey on Director Glass," May 22, 2013
- ↑ The Gazette, "Glass leaving Iowa Department of Education post," May 22, 2013
- ↑ The Gazette, "Glass leaving Iowa Department of Education post,"May 22, 2013
- ↑ Iowa Administrative Code, "/Education Department 281, Chapter 1 ORGANIZATION AND OPERATION, 1.3 (17A,256) Director of education," accessed July 29, 2013
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Iowa Department of Education, About the Department
- ↑ Iowa Department of Education "Divisions" Accessed February 1, 2013
- ↑ Iowa Budget Report, "Fiscal Years 2014-2015," 249, accessed June 26, 2013