Iowa House of Representatives District 7
|Iowa House of Representatives District 7|
|Current incumbent||Tedd Gassman|
|Ethnicity||0.5% Black, 2.7% Hispanic|
|Voting age||77.4% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 26,716 civilians reside within Iowa's seventh state house district. Iowa state representatives represent an average of 30,464 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 29,293 residents.
About the chamber
The Iowa Constitution states, "No person shall be a member of the house of representatives who shall not have attained the age of twenty-one years, be a citizen of the United States, and shall have been an inhabitant of this state one year next preceding his election, and at the time of his election shall have had an actual residence of sixty days in the county, or district he may have been chosen to represent."
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Iowa legislature are paid $25,000/year. Additionally, legislators receive $135/day per diem tied to the federal rate. Polk County legislators receive $101.25/day.
If a vacancy occurs in the house, the Governor must call for a special election within five days of the vacancy. If the vacancy happens in session, the Governor must call for an election as soon as possible with a minimum 18 day notice. All other special elections require a 45 day notice as long the election does not happen on the same day of a school election.
Elections for the office of Iowa House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Dave Grussing was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Tedd Gassman was unopposed in the Republican primary. Grussing faced Gassman in the general election.Gassman defeated Grussing in the general election, and will keep his seat.
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 7 General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Tedd Gassman Incumbent||57.5%||6,628|
Elections for the office of Iowa House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on June 5, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 16, 2012. Tedd Gassman (R) defeated incumbent John Wittneben (D) in the general election and defeated Mark Frakes in the Republican primary. Wittneben was unopposed in the Democratic primary.
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 7, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||John Wittneben Incumbent||49.9%||7,625|
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 7 Republican Primary, 2012|
Since 2000, candidates for Iowa State House District 7 have raised a total of $663,591. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $47,399 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Iowa State House District 7|
- Iowa State Legislature
- Iowa State Senate
- Iowa House of Representatives
- Iowa state legislative districts
- publicmapping.org, "Iowa 2010 Census Selected Statistics," accessed October 16, 2013
- "Iowa Constitution," accessed December 16, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Iowa General Assembly, "Iowa Election Law," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 69.14)]
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 30, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 7, 2014
- The Des Moines Register, "Election2014," accessed November 4, 2014
- "Iowa Secretary of State - Official Primary Election Results," accessed October 16, 2013
- "Iowa Secretary of State - Official General Election Results," accessed October 16, 2013
State of Iowa
Des Moines (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Director of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chair of Utilities |
Iowa Supreme Court | Judicial Nominating and Qualifications Commission | Circuit Court of Appeals | District Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |