Iowa State Senate District 23
|Iowa State Senate District 23|
|Current incumbent||Herman Quirmbach|
|Ethnicity||2.9% Black, 2.9% Hispanic|
|Voting age||85.1% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 6, 2018|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 67,311 civilians reside within Iowa's twenty-third state senate district. Iowa state senators represent an average of 60,927 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 58,586 residents.
About the chamber
Members of the Iowa State Senate serve four-year terms and are not subject to term limits. Half of the senate is up for re-election every two years. Iowa legislators assume office the first day of January after their election.
The Iowa Constitution states, "Senators shall be chosen for the term of four years, at the same time and place as representatives; they shall be twenty-five years of age, and possess the qualifications of representatives as to residence and citizenship."
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Iowa legislature are paid $25,000/year. Additionally, legislators receive $135/day per diem tied to the federal rate. Polk County legislators receive $101.25/day.
If a vacancy occurs in the senate, the Governor must call for a special election within five days of the vacancy. If the vacancy happens while the Senate is in session, the Governor can call the election to be held as soon as possible. However, a minimum a 18 day notice is required. All other special elections require a 45 day notice as long there are no school elections scheduled on the same day.
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Iowa State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Incumbent Herman C. Quirmbach defeated Cynthia Oppedal Paschen in the Democratic primary, while Jeremy Davis was unopposed in the Republican primary. Quirmbach faced Davis in the general election. Incumbent Quirmbach defeated challenger Davis in the general election.
|Iowa State Senate, District 23 General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Herman Quirmbach Incumbent||59%||11,713|
|Iowa State Senate, District 23 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Herman Quirmbach Incumbent||72.7%||1,593|
|Cynthia Oppedal Paschen||27.3%||598|
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2010
Elections for the office of Iowa State Senate consisted of a primary election on June 8, 2010, and a general election on November 2, 2010. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 19, 2010. Incumbent Herman Quirmbach (D) defeated Timothy Gartin (R) in the general election. Neither candidate faced opposition in their primary.
|Iowa State Senate, District 23, General Election, 2010|
|Democratic||Herman Quirmbach Incumbent||52.9%||11,767|
Since 2000, candidates for Iowa State Senate District 23 have raised a total of $575,939. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $47,995 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Iowa State Senate District 23|
|* Campaign finance data for 2012 is incomplete for this district.|
- Iowa State Legislature
- Iowa State Senate
- Iowa House of Representatives
- Iowa state legislative districts
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- publicmapping.org, "Iowa 2010 Census Selected Statistics," accessed October 16, 2013
- "Iowa Constitution," accessed December 16, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Iowa General Assembly, "Iowa Election Law," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 69.14)]
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 30, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed December 1, 2014
- "2010 Iowa Primary Results," October 16, 2013
- "Official Iowa State Senate November 2, 2010 Election Results," accessed October 16, 2013