Iowa State Senate District 26
|Iowa State Senate District 26|
|Current incumbent||Mary Jo Wilhelm|
|Ethnicity||1% Black, 7.7% Hispanic|
|Voting age||75.7% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 55,929 civilians reside within Iowa's twenty-sixth state senate district. Iowa state senators represent an average of 60,927 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 58,586 residents.
About the chamber
Members of the Iowa State Senate serve four-year terms and are not subject to term limits. Half of the senate is up for re-election every two years. Iowa legislators assume office the first day of January after their election.
The Iowa Constitution states, "Senators shall be chosen for the term of four years, at the same time and place as representatives; they shall be twenty-five years of age, and possess the qualifications of representatives as to residence and citizenship."
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Iowa legislature are paid $25,000/year. Additionally, legislators receive $135/day per diem tied to the federal rate. Polk County legislators receive $101.25/day.
If a vacancy occurs in the senate, the Governor must call for a special election within five days of the vacancy. If the vacancy happens while the Senate is in session, the Governor can call the election to be held as soon as possible. However, a minimum a 18 day notice is required. All other special elections require a 45 day notice as long there are no school elections scheduled on the same day.
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2012
Elections for the office of Iowa State Senate consisted of a primary election on June 5, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 16, 2012. Incumbent Mary Jo Wilhelm (D) defeated incumbent Merlin Bartz (R) in the general election. Neither candidate faced opposition in their primary.
|Iowa State Senate, District 26, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Mary Jo Wilhelm Incumbent||50.2%||15,530|
|Republican||Merlin Bartz Incumbent||49.8%||15,404|
Since 2000, candidates for Iowa State Senate District 26 have raised a total of $1,160,394. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $128,933 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Iowa State Senate District 26|
- Iowa State Legislature
- Iowa State Senate
- Iowa House of Representatives
- Iowa state legislative districts
- publicmapping.org, "Iowa 2010 Census Selected Statistics," accessed October 16, 2013
- "Iowa Constitution," accessed December 16, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Iowa General Assembly, "Iowa Election Law," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 69.14)]
- Iowa Secretary of State - Official Primary Election Results
- "Iowa Secretary of State - Official General Election Results," accessed October 16, 2013