|Texas House of Representatives, District 59|
|January 13, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Sheffield served on the following committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Public Health|
|• Rules & Resolutions|
Sheffield's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- "Fight for low taxes and small government."
- "Secure our border and stop illegal immigration."
- "Oppose Obama’s attack on our healthcare freedom."
- "Defend our Second Amendment rights."
- "Improve our schools through local control."
- "Stop skyrocketing tuition at Texas public universities."
- "Stand up for the unborn and traditional marriage."
Elections for the office of Texas House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on March 4, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 9, 2013. Incumbent J.D. Sheffield defeated Danny Pelton and Howard Ray in the Republican primary.
Sheffield won election in the 2012 election for Texas House of Representatives, District 59. Sheffield advanced to the July 31 primary runoff where he defeated incumbent Sid Miller. Sheffield defeated Bill Norris (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Texas House of Representatives, District 59, General Election, 2012|
|Texas House of Representatives District 59 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Sid Miller (advanced to runoff) Incumbent||42.5%||7,778|
|J.D. Sheffield (advanced to runoff)||41.5%||7,599|
Comprehensive donor information for Sheffield is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Sheffield raised a total of $237,873 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 24, 2013.
|J.D. Sheffield's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Texas State House, District 59||$209,481|
|2010||Texas State House, District 59||$28,392|
|Grand Total Raised||$237,873|
2012Sheffield won election to the Texas House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Sheffield raised a total of $209,481.
|Texas House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to J.D. Sheffield's campaign in 2012|
|Texas Medical Association||$7,500|
|Association Of Texas Professional Educators||$5,000|
|Act For Texas Teachers Association||$5,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$209,481|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Sheffield lost the election for the Texas House of Representatives in 2010. During that election cycle, Sheffield raised a total of $28,392.
|Texas House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to J.D. Sheffield's campaign in 2010|
|Heavin, H Gary & Diane||$10,000|
|Sheffield, A K & Billie||$5,000|
|Norris, Stephen A||$1,000|
|Gray Jr, R N||$1,000|
|Wise, Charles & Mary A||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$28,392|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Empower Texans Fiscal Responsibility Index
Empower Texans produces the Fiscal Responsibility Index as "a measurement of how lawmakers perform on size and role of government issues." The index uses "exemplar votes on core budget and free enterprise issues that demonstrate legislators' governing philosophy." Legislators were graded along a 0 through 100 scale in 2013 and on an A through F grading scale in 2011.
Sheffield received a score of 27.5 in the 2013 Fiscal Responsibility Index.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "J.D. + Sheffield + Texas + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- J.D. Sheffield on Facebook
- Texas House of Representatives Office Website
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- Report Card from Texans for Fiscal Responsibility
- jdfortexas.com - Issues
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 March Primary Election Candidate Filings by County", accessed March 4, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 Democratic Party Primary Election," accessed March 4, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 Republican Party Primary Election," accessed March 4, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State - 2012 Election and Candidate Information
- Texas Secretary of State, "1992 - Current Election History," accessed February 17, 2014
- Office of the (Texas) Secretary of State, "Race Summary Report," accessed July 12, 2012
- Follow the Money, "Sheffield, JD," accessed July 24, 2013
- Empower Texans, "Fiscal Responsibility Index," accessed February 22, 2014
Sid Miller (R)
|Texas House District 59
| Succeeded by|
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |