|Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|High school||Norman High School|
|Bachelor's||Oklahoma State University|
|Master's||University of Oklahoma|
|Ph.D.||University of Oklahoma|
|Service/branch||United States Airforce|
|Years of service||1969-1972|
|Place of birth||Shawnee, OK|
Herron is a past Assistant State Superintendent for Financial Services. He worked 11 years as the Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics’ Outreach Coordinator and Regional Centers Director where he administrated centers across the state that provide college-level science and mathematics courses for qualified high school students to enhance their home high school education. Herron has been a college administrator, high school principal and teacher, and served as school superintendent for 18 years in Macomb, Mangum, Guthrie, and Duncan, Oklahoma where he founded the Edge Academy Alternative School. He believes incorporating the arts strengthens curriculum and continually reinforces this concept. He is past Chair for Oklahoma’s Arts Alliance for Education, earning awards at the state and national levels. Outside of education, Heron is past Chair of the Oklahoma Community Service Commission, has been active in Kiwanis and Rotary, and was an American Legion Post Commander and a Chamber of Commerce President. He is a Leadership Oklahoma Class Two graduate and serves on the Board for the Jim Thorpe Association. He is an Eagle Scout, a 32nd degree Mason, and a veteran of the United States Air Force.
- High school: Norman High School Class of 1963
- BS: Oklahoma State University, Science Education
- MEd: University of Oklahoma, Secondary School Administration/Principalship 1974 – 1976
- PhD: University of Oklahoma, Doctor of Philosophy, Curriculum Supervision and Administration 1989
- Dissertation: Religious policies and selected practices in public schools of Oklahoma
Current Oklahoma Teaching Certificates:
- Professional Oklahoma Superintendent
- Professional Oklahoma Secondary Principal
- Professional Oklahoma Science
- (Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Earth Science, General Science, Physical Science, Physics, and Zoology)
- Professional Oklahoma Social Studies
- (Democracy, Economics, Oklahoma History, Sociology/Anthropology, US Government and Psychology)
Professional Oklahoma Educators-Government Relations Director 2011 – Present
Jim Thorpe Association-Board of Trustees 2007 – Present
Leadership Oklahoma-Lifetime Member 1987 – Present
- Class II Graduate;
- Vice President for Administration 1994-1995;
- Vice President for Recruitment 1996;
- Board of Directors;
- Executive Committee;
- Nominating Chairman for LOK Alumni
Oklahoma Alliance for Arts Education 1984 – Present
- 1996-1997-President Elect;
- 2001-2004-Past Chair;
- 2005-present-Executive Committee
Oklahoma FIRST Robotics-Planning Board Member 2007 – Present
- FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) was founded by inventor Dean Kamen to inspire an appreciation of science and technology in young people. Based in Manchester, NH, the 501 (c) (3) not-for-profit organization designs accessible, innovative programs to build self-confidence, knowledge and life skills while motivating young people to pursue opportunities in science, technology, engineering and math.
The OSSM Society-Member; 1998 – Present
Board of Trustees 2013-present
- The OSSM Society is a 501 (c) 3 organization whose purpose is to promote the Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics: Oklahoma’s two year, public, residential high school for juniors and seniors with exceptional ability in science and mathematics. Members include Alumni, Parents, and Friends of OSSM. The OSSM Society is also the support organization for OSSM Alumni activities.
Oklahoma Community Service Commission-Governor-Appointed Commissioner 1994 – 2013
- Past Chair
Oklahoma State Department of Education-Assistant State Superintendent-Financial Services 2010 – 2011
Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics-Outreach Coordinator/Regional Centers Director 1999 – 2010
Duncan Public Schools-Superintendent 1991 – 1998
- Duncan, Oklahoma
Oklahoma Association of School Administrators-Vice President 1994 – 1995
Selected Honors and Service
- 2007 Governor's Arts Award
- 2007 Commendation for Leadership and Service - Oklahoma Community Service Commission
- 2003 Oklahoma Alliance for Arts Education Leadership Award
- 1998 Legislative Committee for United Suburban Schools
- 1995 National Community Distinguished Leadership Award
- 1992 Commendation for Contributions to Education - Congressman Bill Brewster
- 1991 Oklahoma State Superintendent's Leadership Award for Arts Excellence
- 1991 Kennedy Center National School Administrators Award
- 1991 Governor's Commendation - Governor David Walters
- 1991 American Legion National Education Program Award
- Past American Legion Commander: Post 121-Mangum, Oklahoma; Post 58-Guthrie, Oklahoma
- 32nd Degree Mason
- Eagle Scout
Herron is running for election to the office of Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction. Herron is seeking the Democratic nomination in the primary. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.
Herron's campaign sets him apart as the only candidate for State Superintendent that has been a teacher, a principal, a coach, an administrator and headed a major department at the State Department of Education.
Herron submitted his plan for education to Ballotpedia.
- "Raise Teacher Pay. Jack knows we need to value our teachers and reward them for the sacrifices they make everyday for our children. As a former classroom teacher, he will fight for them and ensure they have the best resources possible. Jack is committed to fighting for teachers and working to raise their pay."
- "Local Control for School Districts. As a former school administrator, Jack knows that the people best suited to make decisions for a school district is their own parents, teachers, administrators and community leaders. He will let each school district make their own decisions and he will refuse to implement or pass on unfunded mandates."
- "Education for the 21st Century. Jack believes that the pathway to a better education in the 21st century is an emphasis on math and science. He wants to put math and science specialists in schools to complement the already available reading specialists and work to ensure that our children receive the best education to prepare them for a workforce that values math and science skills."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Jack + Herron + Oklahoma + Superintendent of Public Instruction"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Biography submission to Ballotpedia, October 21, 2013
- News on 6, Jack Herron to seek Oklahoma superintendent's job, October 16, 2013
State of Oklahoma
Oklahoma City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor and Inspector | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Wildlife Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Commissioner of Corporations |