|U.S. House, California, District 4|
|Bachelor's||State University of New York|
- State University of New York, B.S. degree in Chemistry
- 1980: M.I.T.,Ph.D. in Chemistry
Uppal works as an engineer in the semiconductor industry.
Uppal's campaign website listed the following issues:
- End Gridlock
- Excerpt: "I’m a moderate Democrat and believe Congress should be solving the pressing issues of today rather than holding fast to ideologies that lead nowhere. Congress can positively impact California’s 4th Congressional district and the nation, but only if we elect people willing to work together."
- Bring Jobs Home
- Excerpt: "Our government has a long history of creating jobs and entire industries. In the last 50 years, the United States has created millions of jobs. The Space program in the 60’s spun off thousands of new industries. The internet itself was the creation of government, not big business; and as a result hundreds of thousands of jobs have been created in just the last 10 years."
- Strengthen Medicare
- Excerpt: "As your Congressman, I’ll make sure our government keeps its promises. We were promised medical care, not a voucher. I am not willing to let the government break this promise and abandon our seniors when they are counting on this program to be there."
- On The Middle Class
- Excerpt: "I’m very concerned about the diminishing and shrinking middle class in America. The middle class is the embodiment of the American Dream and the main driver for our economy. For more than a decade, middle class families have been forced to bear the burdens of Congressional mismanagement."
- The Economy
- Excerpt: "Don’t be misled. Trickle down economics doesn’t work. Giving huge tax breaks to the wealthy and to corporations hasn’t produced one job. Businesses aren’t hiring because the middle class can’t afford to buy their products. It’s not because businesses are overtaxed or overregulated. The only way to get Americans working again is to strengthen the middle class families so that they are able to purchase things again."
Uppal ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent California's 4th District. He and incumbent Tom McClintock (R) advanced past the June 5, 2012, blanket primary. They faced off in the general election on November 6, 2012, and McClintock won.
|U.S. House, California District 4 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Tom McClintock Incumbent||61.1%||197,803|
|Source: California Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, California District 4, 2012 - Jack Uppal Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$1,191,743|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$1,125,498|
|Top contributors to Jack Uppal's campaign committee|
|Take Back Red California||$1,500|
|Democratic Party of California||$1,200|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
Uppal is married to his wife Kate, and is a father and stepfather to three daughters.
- California's 4th Congressional District
- California's 4th Congressional District elections, 2012
- United States House of Representatives