Jackson County School District, Mississippi
|Jackson County School District|
|Jackson County, Mississippi|
|Number of schools:||15|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Kenneth A. Fountain|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Jackson County
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Issues
- 9 Contact information
- 10 Website evaluation
- 11 See also
- 12 External links
- 13 References
About the district
Jackson County outperformed the rest of Mississippi in terms of its median rates of average household income and poverty, but underperformed in terms of higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Jackson County was $49,620 compared to $38,718 for the state of Mississippi. The poverty rate in Jackson County was 15.0% compared to 21.6% for the entire state. The US Census also found that 18.6% of Jackson County residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 19.7% in Mississippi.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current Superintendent of Jackson County School District is Dr. Barry Amacker, who has held the position since his appointment in 2005. Amacker graduated from Moss Point High School in 1970 and then earned a B.S. in Music Education and an M.Ed. in Educational Leadership from the University of South Alabama before receiving his Ed.D. from Nova Southeastern University. During his career, he has served as a band director, assistant principal, principal and assistant superintendent. Amacker is also an adjunct instructor at the University of Southern Mississippi.
Jackson County School District is overseen by a five-member board elected to six-year terms.
|Jackson County School Board|
|Glenn A. Dickerson||District 1||2017|
|Karen R. Tolbert||District 2||2017|
|Kenneth A. Fountain||District 3||2019|
|Jason K. Lee||District 4||2019|
|Troy E. Frisbie||District 5||2015|
School board elections
Members of the Jackson County school board are elected to six-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Two seats were up for election in 2013 and one seat will be up for election in 2015.
The table below displays the budget for Jackson County School District.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Jackson County School District employed approximately 1,264 teachers and staff during the 2010-2011 school year. Teachers are placed into salary categories based on licensing and experience. During the 2012-2013 school year, the base pay for first year teachers with an A license was $33,630, while an AA licensed teacher would receive $35,790, an AAA licensed teacher would receive $36,920 and an AAAA licensed teacher would receive $37,950. The maximum salary for teacher required 35 years of experience, and an A licensed teacher would receive $55,125, an AA licensed teacher would receive $62,925, an AAA licensed teacher would receive $66,510 and an AAAA licensed teacher would receive $69,885.
Schools in Jackson County
Jackson County School District serves 9,357 students. Jackson County School District does not publicly archive enrollment data beyond the current school year.
Jackson County School District operates 15 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Jackson County School District|
|East Central High School|
|East Central Lower Elementary School|
|East Central Middle School|
|East Central Upper Elementary School|
|Jackson County Vocational Center|
|St. Martin East Elementary School|
|St. Martin High School|
|St. Martin Middle School|
|St. Martin North Elementary School|
|St. Martin Upper Elementary School|
|St. Martin East Elementary School|
|Vancleave High School|
|Vancleave Lower Elementary School|
|Vancleave Middle School|
|Vancleave Upper Elementary School|
The most recent academic assessment data for the district is from the 2009-2010 No Child Left Behind district report card. During that school year, Jackson County School District met the Adequate Yearly Progress benchmark requirements.
|Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) by subgroup|
|Student group||Reading||Math||Other Academic Indicator||4-year Graduation Rate|
|Student with IEP's||Met||Met||N/A||17.0|
School resource officers
After receiving a state grant, Jackson County School District hired three armed police officers to provide security in its schools, which began in the 2013-2014 school year. Following the decision, Superintendent Amacker explained, "They'll be very quickly available if a situation arises or just being there to be visible. It's always great to have a presence of law enforcement in your building." Jackson County Sheriff Mike Byrd added, "It was a need... They will have full arrest powers. They are certified law enforcement officers, and this is going to curtail we hope any problems that may arise in the future. ...With everything that's happening in the country, even the state that we've had happen, it's imperative that we be proactive rather than reactive."
Federal stimulus funding
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), which was signed into law on February 17, 2009, provided one-time funding for school districts through three main streams: the State Fiscal Stabilization Fund, Title I programs and programs under the Individuals with Disabilities Act. Jackson County School District received Title I funding from a grant approved on September 21, 2009, which totaled $697,855. The district allocated this funding to seven Title I elementary schools on the basis of the percentage of free/reduced lunch students in those schools. Those schools spent that money on additional tutorial services for low-performing students, classroom technology enhancements, professional development for educators, additional classroom materials and supplies and extra programs and services to encourage parental involvement. The district also received an ARRA grant of $27,916 to be used for tutorial services, parent materials and supplies for students identified as homeless.
Last rated on November 12, 2012.
|Transparency grading process|
- Administrative Officials
- Administrative officials are posted with contact information under respective department pages. A directory is also posted.
- Elected Officials
- School Board members are listed with email addresses.
- Salary scales for specific district positions, including teachers, are posted in the Board's policies section.
- Public Records
- Information on district and school academic performance is posted.
- Background Checks
- Information on background checks is posted.
- Budgets are not posted.
- Elected Officials
- Phone numbers are not provided.
- Audits are not posted.
- Bids and vendor contracts are not available.
- Tax information is not provided.
- School board elections portal
- Jackson County School District elections (2013)
- Mississippi school districts
- List of school districts in Mississippi
- Jackson County, Mississippi ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Mississippi
- Jackson County School District
- Jackson County, Mississippi
- Mississippi Department of Education
- Mississippi School Boards Association
- Mississippi Department of Education, "Enrollment, Year 2011-2012," accessed September 4, 2013
- Mississippi Department of Education, "Jackson County School District," accessed September 4, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Jackson County Quick Facts," accessed September 4, 2013
- Mississippi Secretary of State, “Elections | Election Results,” accessed September 4, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Jackson County School District, "Superintendent's Biography," accessed September 4, 2013
- Jackson County School District, "School Board," accessed September 4, 2013
- National Center for Education Statistics, "District Details (2010-2011 school year; Fiscal data from 2009-2010)," accessed September 4, 2013
- National Center for Education Statistics, "District Details (2010-2011 school year; Fiscal data from 2009-2010) - Staff," accessed September 4, 2013
- Jackson County School District, "Teacher Salary Scale," accessed September 4, 2013
- Jackson County School District, "No Child Left Behind 2009-2010 - District Report," accessed September 4, 2013
- WLOX, "Armed officers start patrolling Jackson County schools," August 7, 2013
- Jackson County School District, "American Recovery and Reinvestment Act," accessed September 4, 2013
- Jackson County School District, "Directory," accessed November 12, 2012
- Jackson County School District, "Board Agendas," accessed November 12, 2012
- Jackson County School District, "Board Minutes," accessed November 12, 2012
- Jackson County School District, "Jackson County School District Board Calendar," accessed September 4, 2013
- Jackson County School District, "Policies - Alphabetical Listing," accessed November 12, 2012
- Jackson County School District, "Public Records Request," accessed November 12, 2012
- Jackson County School District, "Report Cards," accessed November 12, 2012
- Jackson County School District, "Fingerprint Information and Procedures," accessed November 12, 2012