Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Virginia Senate District 31|
|Service/branch||Army National Guard JAG Corps|
Areizaga-Soto graduated from Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service. He went on to receive a J.D. and a master's degree in Latin American Studies from Stanford University.
He formerly served in the Army National Guard's Judge Advocate General Corps (JAG). He was also appointed to the U.S. Agency of International Development (USAID) by the Obama Administration. He served as the Policy Advisor to Senator Mary Whipple in 2010 and 2011.
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
|Virginia State Senate Democratic Primary, 2011|
Areizaga-Soto's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Jaime has always been 100% pro-choice."
- LGBT Equality
- Excerpt: "Jaime will fight for LGBT equality. As a member of the military, Jaime is proud to serve alongside gays and lesbians to defend our country."
- Excerpt: "Jaime wants every child to succeed. As our State Senator, he will fight Republican efforts to raid public school funding and will invest in pre-kindergarten education so every Virginia child enters the classroom ready to learn."
- Military and Veterans
- Excerpt: "As a JAG Lt. Colonel in the Army National Guard, Jaime advises and provides legal assistance to soldiers, veterans and their relatives on legal matters including pre-mobilization and post-deployment employment rights, financial and other legal issues."
- Fairness and Opportunity
- Excerpt: "He will make sure every law-abiding resident of this country is treated fairly and has opportunities to succeed by providing in-state tuition to the children of immigrants who graduate from Virginia high schools."
- Environment and Transportation
- Excerpt: "Jaime will fight for a clean environment and a transportation system that makes sense."
- Progressive Tax Reform
- Excerpt: "Our tax system punishes the most vulnerable. Jaime will fight to repeal the regressive sales tax on food."
- Campaign website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Jaime Areizaga-Soto on Facebook
- Jaime Areizaga-Soto on Twitter