|Former candidate for|
|Iowa Secretary of State|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Associate's||AIB College of Business|
|Bachelor's||AIB College of Business|
|Date of birth||January 27, 1988|
|Place of birth||Des Moines, Iowa|
|Profession||Business and non-profit manager|
Porter's interests include business and politics. He earned his A.A. in business from the AIB College of Business in 2008 and his B.A. in business administration from AIB College of Business in 2011.
From 2008 to 2010, he served as the Alternate Representative to Region 6 for the Libertarian National Committee. He ran for Iowa Secretary of State in 2010, but was defeated. He also served as Iowa Coordinator for Bob Barr's Presidential campaign.
Porter has held a variety of jobs including positions in retail and as a political consultant.
Porter currently works for Yahoo in Omaha, Nebraska.
Porter listed the following issues on his campaign themes:
- Voter identification
- Excerpt: "While often well intentioned[sic], voter photo ID risks disenfranchising millions of Americans."
- Excerpt: "[T]he Secretary of State’s job is not to enforce immigration law, there is no budget to do so, and doing so is a bad economic decision that harms the economy."
- Restoring voting rights for felons
- Excerpt: "As Secretary of State, you could count on me to be an advocate for restoring the rights of people who have long paid for their crimes and are trying desperately to become part of society to make a positive impact in our communities."
- See also: Iowa secretary of state election, 2014
Porter ran as a Libertarian candidate for Iowa Secretary of State in 2014. He faced Paul Pate (R), Brad Anderson (D) and Spencer Highland (New Independent Party) in the general election on November 4, 2014.
|Secretary of State of Iowa, 2014|
|New Independent Party||Spencer Highland||1.8%||19,945|
|Election Results via Iowa Secretary of State.|
- See also: Iowa Secretary of State election, 2010
In 2010, Porter ran for election to the Iowa Secretary of State. He ran as a Libertarian Party candidate. He was defeated in the general election by Matt Schultz (R).
Porter currently lives in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Jake + Porter + Iowa + Secretary of State
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Jake Porter for Secretary of State 2014 Official campaign website
- Campaign Facebook page
- Campaign Twitter feed
- Jake Porter for Secretary of State, "Homepage," accessed September 23, 2013
- Information submitted on Ballotpedia’s biographical information submission form on January 26, 2014
- Jake Porter: "Biography," accessed January 26, 2014
- Jake Porter: "Issues," accessed January 26, 2014
- Facebook: "Jake Porter for Iowa Secretary of State, About," accessed January 26, 2014
State of Iowa
Des Moines (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Director of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chair of Utilities |
Iowa Supreme Court | Judicial Nominating and Qualifications Commission | Circuit Court of Appeals | District Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |