James G. Sigurdson
Sigurdson graduated from Sunset High School in 1980. He has worked with Meals on Wheels of Ocean County since 2000 and currently serves as executive director. Sigurdson is also the chair of the Individuals with Disabilities Commission.
|Toms River Regional School Board, Toms River District, 3-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||James G. Sigurdson||40.8%||5,399|
|Nonpartisan||Robert Onofrietti, Jr.||20.8%||2,748|
|Source: Ocean County, NJ "November 2013 Election Results," November 14, 2013|
Sigurdson reported $9,730.00 in contributions and $6,883.74 in expenditures to the New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission, which left his campaign with $2,846.26 on hand.
Sigurdson did not receive any endorsements in this election.
What was at stake
Incumbent Michael A. Jedziniak sought re-election to the board while fellow members Tom Baxter and Edward Gearity did not file for election. Jedziniak lost to challenger Walt Ramsay for the Pine Beach seat on the board. Gloria McCormack was unopposed for the Beachwood seat on the board while three challengers vied for the open Toms River seat.
About the district
- See also: Toms River Regional Schools, New Jersey
Ocean County lagged behind state rates for poverty, median income and higher education achievement in 2010. The county had a poverty rate of 9.5% in the 2010 U.S. Census while the state rate was 9.4%. The 2010 U.S. Census calculated Ocean County's median income at $60,712 while the state median income was $71,180. The percentage of county residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (24.5%) was below the state average (35%).
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "James + Sigurdson + Toms + River + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Ocean County Government, "Departments, Officials, Boards & Commissions," accessed October 22, 2013
- Facebook, "James Sigurdson," accessed October 22, 2013
- New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission, "Standard Search," accessed December 27, 2013
- 2010 U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Ocean County," accessed October 21, 2013
- Ocean County Clerk, "Election Services," accessed October 21, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014