James L. Shumate
|James L. Shumate|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Utah Fifth Judicial District|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Norman Bangerter|
|Past post:||Judge, Fifth Circuit Court|
|Undergraduate:||University of Utah|
|Law School:||University of Utah College of Law, 1975|
|Candidate for:||Fifth Judicial District|
|Election information 2012:|
|Election date:||November 6, 2012|
|Retention vote %:||83.5%|
James L. Shumate is a former Utah Fifth Judicial District judge for the St. George District Court. He was appointed to this position in January 1992 and was last retained in 2012. Shumate retired from the court on March 31, 2014.
- 1992-2014: Judge, Utah Fifth Judicial District
- 1991-1992: Judge, Fifth Circuit Court
- 1979-1982: Attorney, Iron County 
- See also: Utah judicial elections, 2012
Judicial performance evaluation recommendation
The Utah Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission compiled information from attorneys, court staff and jurors about the performance of all judges up for retention in 2012. Judges were evaluated based on five criteria.
A judge must score at least 3 out of 5 in each of these categories to meet the minimum performance standard. 108 attorneys responded to the following questions. Here are Shumate's scores:
- Legal Ability: 3.95
- Communication: 3.98
- Integrity: 4.23
- Judicial temperament: 4.21
- Administrative: 4.02
Based on cumulative results, Judge Shumate was recommended for retention by 12 out of 12 commission members. For the full report, visit: Utah Judicial Evaluation Performance Commission, Honorable James L. Shumate.
- Utah State Courts, "Directory"
- Utah Courts, "Judge Shumate Biography"
- KCSG Television, "Nominees Announced for Fifth District Court Vacancy," January 10, 2014
- Martindale.com, "Judge Profile: James L. Shumate"
- Utah Lieutenant Governor, "Election Resources - 2012 General Election Canvass Report"
- Utah Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission website, "Judges up for Election in 2012"