James Lee Witt
|James Lee Witt|
|U.S. House, Arkansas, District 4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|County Judge, Yell County|
|Profession||Founder, James Lee Witt Associates|
Witt started a construction company while in his twenties. He then served 10 years as County Judge in Yell County from 1978 to 1988. Witt was then appointed Director of Arkansas Office of Emergency Services. He was then nominated by President Clinton to be Director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and unanimously approved by the U.S. Senate. After his work in FEMA, Witt founded James Lee Witt Associates, a company that helps corporations and government deal with disasters.
Witt is running in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent Arkansas's 4th District. Witt secured the Democratic nomination in the primary on May 20, 2014, with no opposition. He will face Bruce Westerman (R) and Ken Hamilton (L) in the general election on November 4, 2014.
|James Lee Witt (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|Year-End||January 29, 2014||$0||$243,946||$(77,551)||$166,394|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2014||$166,394||$268,802||$(119,173)||$316,022|
|Pre-Primary||May 8, 2014||$316,022||$152,829||$(127,374)||$341,478|
|July Quarterly||July 15, 2014||$341,478||$168,045||$(113,785)||$395,738|
Witt has two sons and three grandchildren. He is a member of the First Baptist Church.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "James + Lee + Witt + Arkansas + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- Arkansas's 4th Congressional District elections, 2014
- Arkansas's 4th Congressional District
- The Republic, "Former FEMA Director James Lee Witt enters Democratic race for US House seat in Arkansas," November 5, 2013
- Campaign website, "Meet James Lee Witt," accessed March 7, 2014
- The Washington Post, "Centrist Dem ‘Blue Dogs’ endorse trio of House candidates," February 25, 2014
- Talk Business, "Cook: President Clinton To Headline Fundraisers For Pat Hays And James Lee Witt," March 20, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "James Lee Witt Year-End," accessed February 10, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "James Lee Witt April Quarterly," accessed April 30, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "James Lee Witt Pre-Primary," accessed May 12, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "James Lee Witt July Quarterly," accessed July 24, 2014