James R. Blatchford
|James R. Blatchford|
|Board Member, Lawrence School Committee, District F|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 8, 2011|
|Next general||November, 2015|
|High school||Lawrence High School|
|Bachelor's||University of Massachusetts, Lowell|
James Blatchford resides in Lawrence, Massachusetts. He is the current District F member on the School Committee, which he was elected to on November 8, 2011. Blatchford attended Lawrence High School and earned a Bachelor's degree in Political Science from the University of Massachusetts, Lowell. In addition to his position on the School Committee, Blatchford has served as a camp counselor and a Merrimack Valley Youth Court coordinator working with at-risk youth.
- See also: Lawrence Public Schools elections (2013)
James Blatchford ran unopposed to keep his District F seat in the general election on November 5, 2013.
|Lawrence Public Schools, District F General Election, 2-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||James R. Blatchford Incumbent||98.3%||1,725|
|Source: City of Lawrence, Massachusetts, "Official Election Results," accessed December 18, 2013|
|Lawrence Public Schools, District F Primary Election, 2-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||James R. Blatchford||97.4%||1,253|
|Source: City of Lawrence, Massachusetts, "Preliminary Election, Lawrence, MA," accessed September 18, 2013|
James Blatchford began the race with an existing account balance of $4,114.97 from his previous campaigns. He reported $102.25 in contributions and $252.78 in expenditures to the Lawrence Election Division, which left his campaign with $3,964.44 on hand.
James Blatchford did not receive any official endorsements for his campaign.
|Lawrence Public Schools, District F General Election, 2-year term, 2011|
|Nonpartisan||James R. Blatchford||97.8%||976|
|Source: Lawrence Election Division, "2011 Municipal Election - November 8, 2011," accessed August 8, 2013|
Blatchford's campaign website listed the following campaign themes:
Jim is running for School Committee because Lawrence families deserve accountable leadership that is invested in creating a brighter future for students.
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
District B, C, E and F incumbents Milquicided Santos, Pavel M. Payano, Patricia Mariano and James R. Blatchford filed for re-election. Homayoun Maali, who ran unsuccessfully for the District E seat in 2011, was the only candidate challenging an incumbent, Patricia Mariano. Mariano won. Two candidates, Angel Garcia and Jeovanny Rodriguez, ran for the District D seat that Francisco Surillo has decided to vacate. Rodriguez won the open seat. No candidates filed for the District A seat until Myra Ortiz announced her write-in campaign, which was successful.
About the district
- See also: Lawrence Public Schools, Massachusetts
Essex County outperformed the rest of Massachusetts in terms of its poverty rate but under performed with regard to median rates of average household income and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Essex County was $65,785 compared to $65,981 for the state of Massachusetts. The poverty rate in Essex County was 10.6% compared to 10.7% for the entire state. The US Census also found that 36.4% of Essex County residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 38.7% in Massachusetts.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "James + Blatchford + Lawrence + Public + School"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Lawrence Public Schools, "School Committee," accessed August 8, 2013
- Facebook, "Jim Blatchford - About," accessed August 13, 2013
- Vote Jim Blatchford, "About," accessed August 13, 2013
- Keith Eddings, The Eagle-Tribune, "The field is set: Lantigua will face 5 challengers in primary," August 8, 2013
- City of Lawrence, Massachusetts, "Campaign Finance Reports Due," accessed December 23, 2013
- Vote Jim Blatchford, "Home," accessed August 16, 2013
- Keith Eddings, The Eagle-Tribune, "Ortiz enters Lawrence School Committee race as a write-in candidate," September 13, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Essex County, Massachusetts," accessed August 7, 2013
- Massachusetts Secretary of State, “Enrollment Breakdown as of 2/15/2012,” accessed August 7, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014