Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Virginia House of Delegates District 12|
|1994 - 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|Date of birth||12/31/1943|
|Place of birth||Rockingham City, VA|
Prior to his election to the House, Shuler served on the Virginia State Board of Health from 1983-1988, and the Blacksburg Town Council from 1982-1988. He is the founder/owner of Companion Animal Clinic.
Shuler's answers to the Virginia State Legislative Election 2005 National Political Awareness Test are available. The test provides an overview of a candidate's views on a number of issues. Shuler did not answer the question asking his top priorities.
- Teachers and Administrative Action Subcommittee
- Higher Education and Arts Subcommittee
- Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resources Committee
- Agriculture Subcommittee
- Militia, Police and Public Safety
- Subcommittee #2
- HB 1610 Elections; creates exceptions to prohibited activities at polls.
- HB 1630 Voter registration; residence requirement for full-time students enrolled in higher ed. institution.
- HB 1948 Involuntary commitment; allow examination by licensed marriage and family therapists.
Shuler did not seek re-election in 2011.
In 2009, Shuler was re-elected to the Virginia House of Delegates. He defeated Paul Cornett in the General Election.
|Virginia House of Delegates General Election, District 12 (2009)|
|James Shuler (D)||12,716|
The top five donors to Shuler's 2009 campaign:
|Alpha Natural Resources||$7,500|
|Virginia Bankers Association||$5,000|
|Virginia Association of Realtors||$2,500|
|Virginia Dental Assoc||$2,000|
- Delegate Shuler official site
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions:2009, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2001, 1999
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- State Surge - legislative and voting track profile
- Project Vote Smart - Delegate Shuler
- Project Vote Smart - Delegate Shuler Issue Positions
- Bill Tracking - Legislation as Chief Patron
- Follow the Money, "Virginia House of Delegates 2009 General Election Results," accessed May 15, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2009 Campaign Contributions," accessed May 15, 2014
|Virginia House of Delegates District 12
| Succeeded by|
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |