For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Nebraska Attorney General|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
She was also a 2010 candidate for the statewide office of secretary of state, challenging Republican incumbent John Gale for the position. Ten months later, however, Stewart lost significantly in the general election on Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010 after receiving only thirty percent of the vote.
Stewart is currently a private practice attorney operating out of Fremont, Nebraska.
- Bachelor's degree, University of Nebraska-Omaha (1971) in economics
- Juris Doctorate degree, Creighton University School of Law (1975)
- Master's degree, University of Nebraska-Omaha (1992) in social work
Straight out of law school, Stewart worked as both the clerk and the executive director of the Nebraska Commission of Industrial Relations, remaining in the position until 1980. For over twenty years, from 1980 until 2004, she served as an attorney for the Mutual of Omaha Companies. In 2007, Stewart joined her husband's Fremont-based private practice law firm, Register Law Office.
- Parent Aide Worker/Counselor, Child Saving Institute (1988-1989)
- Co-facilitator, Domestic Abuse & Sexual Assault Crisis Center (1992-1994)
- Board Member, Foster Care Review Board IV-D (1993-1994)
- Panel Participant, Dispute Resolution Section - American Bar Association (1994)
- Volunteer Mediator, Nebraska Justice Center (1994-2001)
- Secretary, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Nebraska State Bar Association (2003)
- See also: Nebraska attorney general election, 2014
Stewart ran for election to the office of Nebraska Attorney General. Stewart won the Democratic nomination in the primary on May 13, 2014 against Allan Eurek. The general election took place November 4, 2014.
|Nebraska Attorney General, Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Election Results via Nebraska Secretary of State.|
|Attorney General of Nebraska, 2014|
|Election Results via Nebraska Secretary of State.|
Stewart's campaign website listed the following themes for the 2014 race:
I am ready to put my experience managing litigation for a major Nebraska business to work for all Nebraska. My experience practicing law in Nebraska state and federal courts gives me a solid foundation from which to vigorously represent the interests of our state. I intend to follow the example of Attorney General Robert Spire, a nonpartisan and ethical lawyer, who elevated the standards of the office. Partisan politics and divisive ideologies compromise sound legal analysis and decisions. Electing an Attorney General with no aspirations to advance a political agenda, or run for higher office gives Nebraskans the legal representation they deserve. Managing Nebraska’s litigation and the Attorney General’s office with experienced legal and business skills will conserve state resources saving taxpayer dollars. 
—Janet Stewart's campaign website, (2014), 
- 2010 Race for Secretary of State - Democratic Primary
- Janet Stewart ran unopposed in this contest
|2010 Race for Secretary of State - General Election|
|Republican Party||John A. Gale||69.8%|
|Democratic Party||Janet Stewart||30.2%|
|2004 Race for United States House of Representatives - Democratic Primary|
|Matt Connealy (D)||50.2%|
|Janet Stewart (D)||33.4%|
|Charlie Matulka (D)||9.3%|
|Phil Chase (D)||7.1%|
|2004 Race for United States House of Representatives - Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Primary Opponent||N/A|
|Total Raised by Gen. Election Opponent||N/A|
|Top 5 Contributors|| Janet Stewart $11,000 (17.6% of Total)|
| Janet Stewart $10,000 (16.0%)|
| Janet Stewart $5,000 (8.0%)|
| Janet Stewart $4,000 (6.4%)|
|Jodene D'Adamo $2,000 (3.2%)|
|Individuals v. Institutions||$22,517 (36.0%)|
|In v. Outside State||$39,595 (89.7%)|
Stewart currently resides in Fremont, Nebraska with her husband, Richard Register. The couple has had one child and four grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Janet + Stewart + Nebraska + Attorney General"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Nebraska Attorney General
- Nebraska attorney general election, 2014
- Nebraska Secretary of State
- Nebraska Secretary of State election, 2010
- Nebraska Secretary of State, 2014 Candidate Filing, accessed March 3, 2014
- Nebraska Democratic Party, "Janet Stewart is Announcing the Launch of Her Campaign for Secretary of State" 10 Jan. 2010
- Nebraska Secretary of State, "Election Night Results," May 13, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Janet Stewart for Attorney General, "Home," accessed September 11, 2014
- Nebraska Secretary of State - 2010 General Election Results
- Secretary of State - Official Results 2004 Primary Election
State of Nebraska
List of Nebraska ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Nebraska Public Service Commission |