|Iowa House of Representatives District 78|
|January 10, 2011-Present|
|January 8, 2017|
|Years in position||4|
|Assistant Majority Leader, Iowa House of Representatives|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|High school||Keota High School|
Klein's professional experience includes working as a farmer.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Klein served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Agriculture, Vice-chair|
|• Environmental Protection|
|• Public Safety|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Klein served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Environmental Protection|
|• Labor, Vice-chair|
|• Local Government|
|• Public Safety|
Elections for the office of Iowa House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Incumbent Jarad Klein was unopposed in the Republican primary and faced John Greener (D) in the general election after Greener filed to run on June 30, 2014. Incumbent Klein defeated Greener in the general election.
|Iowa House of Representatives District 78, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Jarad Klein Incumbent||67.8%||7,356|
Klein ran in the 2012 election for Iowa House of Representatives District 78. Klein defeated Priscilla Marlar in the Republican primary on June 5, 2012. No Democratic candidates filed in the district. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 78 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Jarad Klein Incumbent||81.9%||2,310|
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 89 General Election (2010)|
|Jarad Klein (R)||6,339|
|Larry Marek (D)||5,121|
|David Arthur Smithers (G)||305|
Comprehensive donor information for Klein is available dating back to 2008. Based on available campaign finance records, Klein raised a total of $375,149 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 20, 2013.
|Jarad Klein's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Iowa State House, District 78||$28,630|
|2010||Iowa State House, District 89||$170,795|
|2008||Iowa State House, District 89||$175,724|
|Grand Total Raised||$375,149|
2012Klein won re-election to the Iowa House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Klein raised a total of $28,630.
|Iowa House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Jarad Klein's campaign in 2012|
|Iowa Republican Party||$8,690|
|Klein, Jarad J||$5,000|
|Iowa Corn Growers Association||$1,000|
|Kent, Mr & Mrs Jh||$1,000|
|Iowa Hospital Association||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$28,630|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, Klein raised $170,795 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Iowa Republican Party||$133,047|
|Iowa Farm Bureau||$8,964|
|Klein, Jarad & Rachel||$2,305|
|Freedom First PAC Iowa||$2,000|
Klein and his wife, Rachel, have one child. He is a member of the Iowa Corn Growers Association, the Iowa Soybean Association and the Washington County Farm Bureau.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Legislators are scored on "their records on constitutional principles and civil liberties."
- Legislators are scored on their votes on "key conservative issues."
- Legislators are scored on their votes with or against SC's official position.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Jarad + Klein + Iowa + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Iowa House of Representatives
- Iowa House Committees
- Iowa House of Representatives District 78
- Iowa State Legislature
- Iowa House of Representatives - Jarad Klein
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010, 2008
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 30, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 7, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed December 1, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed October 1, 2014
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed May 15, 2012
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed October 1, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Klein, Jarad," accessed September 20, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed August 2, 2014
Vicki Lensing (D)
|Iowa House of Representatives District 78
| Succeeded by|
|Iowa House of Representatives District 89
| Succeeded by|
Jim Lykam (D)
State of Iowa
Des Moines (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Director of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chair of Utilities |
Iowa Supreme Court | Judicial Nominating and Qualifications Commission | Circuit Court of Appeals | District Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |