For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Tennessee House of Representatives, District 53|
|November 7, 2016|
|Years in position||3|
|Minority Floor Leader, Tennessee House of Representatives|
|2014 - present|
|Per diem||$188/legislative day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|High school||Montgomery Bell Academy|
|Bachelor's||University of Colorado|
|Master's||Institute of Government at Tennessee State University|
Powell received a B.A. in History and Political Science from the University of Colorado at Boulder. He later received a Master's of Public Administration from Tennessee State University. Powell has worked in real estate and non-profit management.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Powell served on the following committees:
|Tennessee Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Business and Utilities|
|• State Government|
Powell's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Jobs: Tennesseans Growing Tennessee
- Excerpt: "As your State Representative, I will make sure we promote the quality of our hard work and produce sustainable results that provide quality jobs."
Education: Building Tennessee's Future
- Excerpt: "Let’s make our schools, colleges and universities the centers of our communities and institutions in which we take pride."
Safe and Livable Communities
- Excerpt: "As a resident of this fine community, I will fight to protect our people and our property."
Fiscal Responsibility: Tennessee Prioritizing Tennesseans
- Excerpt: "It’s important that state legislators always understand the difficulties people of our state face in order to reduce the burden on the individual taxpayers. I am against a state income tax, and I will work diligently to identify ways to reduce the tax burdens on all Tennesseans."
Elections for 99 seats in the Tennessee House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on August 7, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 3, 2014. Incumbent Jason Powell was unopposed in the Democratic primary. John Wang was unopposed in the Republican primary. Tonya Miller ran as an Independent candidate. Powell defeated Wang and Miller in the general election.
|Tennessee House of Representatives District 53, General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Jason Powell Incumbent||53.3%||6,098|
Powell won election in the 2012 election for Tennessee House of Representatives, District 53. Powell defeated Jason Potts in the August 2 primary election and defeated Ben Claybaker (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Tennessee House of Representatives, District 53, General Election, 2012|
|Tennessee House of Representatives, District 53 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Powell is available dating back to 2006. Based on available campaign finance records, Powell raised a total of $143,571 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 1, 2013.
|Jason Powell's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Tennessee State House, District 53||$120,530|
|2006||Tennessee State House, District 58||$23,041|
|Grand Total Raised||$143,571|
2012Powell won election to the Tennessee House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Powell raised a total of $120,530.
|Tennessee House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Jason Powell's campaign in 2012|
|United Association Of Journeymen And Apprentices Of The Plumbing And Pipe Fitting Industry Of The United States And Canada||$12,100|
|Tennessee Education Association||$5,000|
|Tennessee State Employees Association||$3,100|
|International Brotherhood Of Teamsters||$3,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$120,530|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2006Powell lost the election for the Tennessee House of Representatives in 2006. During that election cycle, Powell raised a total of $23,041.
|Tennessee House of Representatives 2006 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Jason Powell's campaign in 2006|
|Service Employees Local 205||$1,000|
|Powell, Jason L||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2006||$23,041|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2013, the 108th Tennessee General Assembly, first year, was in session from January 8 to April 19. In 2014, the 108th Tennessee General Assembly, second year, was in session from January 14 to April 18.
- Tennessee National Federation of Independent Business: 2013-2014 Voting Record
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key small business issues.
- Tennessee Conservation Voters: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes relating to conservation and environmental issues.
- Tennessee Voters for Animal Protection: 2014 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on animal protection bills.
Powell and his wife, Heather, have one child. They currently reside in Nashville, Tennessee.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Jason + Powell + Tennessee + House of Representatives"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Tennessee State Legislature
- Tennessee House of Representatives
- Tennessee House of Representatives Committees
- Tennessee Joint Committees
- Tennessee state legislative districts
- Office website
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions via Follow the Money: 2012, 2006
- Jason Powell on Facebook
- powellfortennessee, "Official Campaign Website," accessed April 17, 2014
- Tennessee Secretary of State, "August 7, 2014 Election Results," accessed September 11, 2014
- Tennessee Secretary of State, "Petitions Filed for State Senate and State House of Representatives," accessed April 5, 2014
- Tennessee Secretary of State, "2012 List of Candidates," accessed April 18, 2014
- Tennessee Department of State, "Election Results," accessed April 18, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Powell, Jason," accessed July 1, 2013
Janis Baird Sontany (D)
|Tennessee House of Representatives District 53
| Succeeded by|
State of Tennessee
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environment & Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | Chairman of Regulatory Authority |
Tennessee Supreme Court | Court of Appeals | Court of Criminal Appeals | Chancery Courts | Circuit Courts | General Sessions Courts | Probate Courts | Criminal Courts | Juvenile Courts | Judicial selection in Tennessee |