For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Jasper Hendricks, III
|Jasper Hendricks, III|
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 60|
|High school||Prince Edward County Public Schools|
|Bachelor's||Norfolk State University|
|(timed out) Campaign website|
Hendricks was raised in Farmville and graduated from Prince Edward County Public Schools before earning a bachelor's degree in political science from Norfolk State University. He worked as an advocate and community organizer, serving as the National Director of Youth and College Voter Empowerment at the NAACP, working for three members of Congress, and working at the Farmville Area Habitat for Humanity as Assistant Executive Director.
Hendricks’s website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Excerpt: "Investing in lifetime education, from early childhood through adulthood. One of our most valuable assets, preparing our children to become responsible adults and citizens, and equipping them with the knowledge and skills to enable the 60th District localities ability to compete in the new economy."
Excerpt: "Ensuring Access and Opportunity to Quality Jobs in the 60th by working with leaders to create of a business climate characterized by a skilled, well-educated workforce, equitable tax policies, access to affordable, reliable, environmentally sustainable energy, and well-planned transportation and infrastructure in order for our communities to compete for jobs in the global economy."
Hendricks ran in the 2013 election for Virginia House of Delegates District 60. Hendricks ran unopposed in the June 11th Democratic Primary. He was defeated by incumbent James Edmunds, II (R) in the general election on November 5, 2013.
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 60 General Election, 2013|
|Republican||James Edmunds, II Incumbent||64.2%||12,806|
|Democratic||Jasper Hendricks, III||35.6%||7,105|
Incumbent James Edmunds, II (R) chose to seek his third term and ran unopposed in 2009 and 2011, but this rural district only gave a slim margin of victory, about 51 percent of the vote, to presidential candidate Mitt Romney (R) in the 2012 election. Hendricks, an activist, had ran for office before and appeared to have attracted a fair amount of attention to his candidacy ahead of the November 2013 election, including an endorsement from Democracy for America. However, Democrats remained at a significant electoral disadvantage in this rural southwestern district.
Hendricks has been a member of the Governance Committee for the Virginia Housing Coalition, the Board of HOPE Community Services, the Board of Directors for the Norfolk State University National Alumni Association, and the Virginia Jaycees.
- The Gazette-Virginian, "Hendricks to challenge GOP incumbent for House seat," May 31, 2013 (dead link)
- South Boston Virginia News, "Farmville Democrat announces bid for House of Delegates," May 30, 2013
- The Washington Blade, "Prominent LGBT strategist announces bid for Virginia Assembly seat," June 7, 2011
- The Daily Progress, "Hendricks to seek 59th House seat," June 7, 2011
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Jasper + Hendricks + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Campaign website (timed out)
- Democracy for America Endorsement and Profile
- Candidate Facebook page
- Candidate LinkedIn page
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- Vote VA profile
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "2013 Official Candidates List for House of Delegates by District," accessed July 11, 2013
- Jasper Hendricks, "Meet Jasper," accessed September 5, 2013
- Jasper Hendricks, "Vision," accessed September 5, 2013
- Virginia Board of Elections, “Official Results - 2013 General Election," accessed December 2, 2013
- Democracy for America, "Hendricks for Delegate," accessed October 3, 2013
- Daily Kos, "A look at the 2013 Virginia House of Delegates Elections," April 11, 2013
- Project Vote Smart, "Jasper Hendricks, III - Biography," accessed September 5, 2013
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |