|Missouri House of Representatives, District 43|
|2011 - present|
|January 5, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||4 terms (8 years)|
|Profession||Manager, McCaw Farms' Hog Facility|
Houghton's professional experience includes working as a manager at McCaw Farms' Hog Facility.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Houghton served on the following committees:
|Missouri Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Agriculture Policy, Vice-chair|
|• General Laws|
|• Tourism and Natural Resources, Vice-chair|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Houghton served on the following committees:
|Missouri Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• General Laws|
|• Health Care Policy|
|• Tourism and Natural Resources|
Houghton's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "We must continue to invest in our agricultural community through innovative research at our public universities, so that Missouri farmers will remain competitive in this global market."
Jobs & Small Business
- Excerpt: "I will work to let you keep more of your hard-earned income through lower taxes and increased savings limits for tax-protected investments, such as college and healthcare savings accounts."
- Excerpt: "I believe that our veterans should be repaid for their sacrifices for our freedoms and liberties."
- Excerpt: "I do not support new taxes! Our state government must be held accountable and learn to live within its means. It must prove it is being a faithful steward of your tax dollars."
- Excerpt: "All Missouri students deserve a quality education in the public, private, or home setting. High academic standards must be set for each child. We must give parents, teachers and administrators the flexibility to reach those standards without onerous regulations that hinder or prevent a quality learning experience."
No New Taxes Pledge
A minority of Missouri lawmakers signed the 2011 edition of the "No New Taxes Pledge." The Taxpayer Protection Pledge is offered by the non-profit lobbying organization Americans for Tax Reform with the goal of opposing all tax increases as a matter of principle. Just one out of 34 state Senate members signed the 2011 pledge. Out of 163 state House members, only 38 lawmakers signed.
Houghton signed the pledge.
Houghton won re-election in the 2012 election for Missouri House of Representatives, District 43. Houghton ran unopposed in the August 7 Republican primary and defeated Ed Lockwood (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Missouri House of Representatives, District 43, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Jay Houghton Incumbent||63.9%||8,792|
|Missouri House of Representatives, District 10 General Election (2010)|
|Jay Houghton (R)||5,865|
|Linda Witte (D)||4,307|
|Josh Allum (C)||638|
Comprehensive donor information for Houghton is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Houghton raised a total of $92,050 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 19, 2013.
|Jay Houghton's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Missouri House of Representatives, District 43||$43,414|
|2010||Missouri House of Representatives, District 10||$48,636|
|Grand Total Raised||$92,050|
2012Houghton won re-election to the Missouri House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Houghton raised a total of $43,414.
|Missouri House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Jay Houghton's campaign in 2012|
|Missouri Hospital Association||$1,000|
|Friends of Diehl||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$43,414|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, a year in which Houghton was up for re-election, he collected $48,636 in donations.
His four largest contributors in 2010 were:
|Citizens for Diehl||$4,500|
|Citizens for Riddle||$2,450|
|Republicans of Pike County||$2,392|
|Friends of Tilley||$2,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Jay + Houghton + Missouri + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Exclusive: ACU announces election-year conservative rankings for General ... - PoliticMo
- Farm Bureau enjoys 17th Annual Legislative Banquet - The Vandalia Leader
- Farm Bureau to hold banquet on Jan. 3 - The Vandalia Leader
- Obama Issues Veto Threat For New Iran Sanctions During Nuclear Deal's ... - Huffington Post
- Office website
- Campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010
- "jayhoughton," Official Campaign Website
- Americans for Tax Reform, "2011 State Legislative Signers of the Taxpayer Protection Pledge," Accessed November 26, 2013
- Missouri Secretary of State, "Nov 6, 2012 General Election - All Results," accessed February 13, 2014
- Missouri Secretary of State, "Aug 7, 2012 Primary - All Results," accessed February 13, 2014
- "Follow the Money", "Houghton, Jay", Accessed September 19, 2013
- 2010 campaign contributions
|Missouri House of Representatives District 43
| Succeeded by|
|Missouri House of Representatives District 10
| Succeeded by|
Pat Conway (D)
State of Missouri
Jefferson City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor & Industrial Relations | Chairman of Public Service Commission |