|Former candidate for|
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 10|
|High school||Lee M. Thurston High School, 1999|
|Bachelor's||Wayne State University|
|Master's||Wayne State University|
|Other||Wayne State University|
|Birthday||November 11, 1981|
|Place of birth||Redford Township, Michigan|
|Profession||Project manager and communications director; Redford Township Zoning Appeals Board|
Born and raised in Michigan, Johnson graduated from Lee M. Thurston High School in 1999. He went on to earn his B.A. in communication studies, his M.A. in communication and a graduate certificate in health communications from Wayne State University.
Professionally, Johnson has worked as a project manager and communications director for the Industrial & Systems Engineering Department at Wayne State University. Additionally, he has served on the Redford Township Board of Trustees. He was first elected in 2012. He has also served on the Zoning Board of Appeals in Redford Township.
Johnson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Fight to make Michigan roads and infrastructure a priority
- Excerpt: "In talking to the residents of the 10th District, this issue is prevalent and one that must be addressed. People are tired of losing tires, ruining alignments, or worse, all as a result of the potholes and cracks in our aging roads. Jay has been lobbying on this issue for more than a year, and wants to make this a priority for the legislature. Enough lip service, it is time to #justfixtheroads."
Invest in education at all levels including making college more affordable
- Excerpt: "Jay wants to fight to keep our kids and young adults in Michigan, and find better ways to support the education systems to ensure all students have the ability to get a good education, in a safe learning environment."
Focus on economic growth for job creation and retention
- Excerpt: "Jay wants to focus on finding new investments, providing new opportunities for working families to earn fair wages, and ensuring that people want to stay in Michigan."
Protect our seniors and most vulnerable while improving their quality of life
- Excerpt: " A society is only as strong as the sum of it’s parts, and Jay will look for new programs and opportunities that afford a high quality of life for all people, regardless of age, sex, gender, race, orientation, or ability."
Elections for the office of Michigan House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 5, 2014, and a general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 22, 2014. Leslie Love defeated Ronald Cole, Brandon Jessup, Jay Johnson and Roy McCalister, Jr. in the Democratic primary. Matthew Hauser was unopposed in the Republican primary. Love faces Hauser in the general election.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 10 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Roy McCalister, Jr.||27.1%||2,333|
In 2014, Johnson's endorsements included the following:
- Glenn Anderson, State Senator, 6th District
- Tracey Schultz-Kobylarz, Redford Township Supervisor
- Diane Webb, Wayne County Commissioner, 8th District
- Lily Cavanagh, Redford Township Treasurer
- Garth Christie, Redford Township Clerk
- Pat McRae, Redford Township Trustee
- Michael Sullivan, Redford Township Trustee
- Adam Bonarek, Redford Township Parks Commissioner
- Jennifer Kurland, Redford Union School Board Trustee
- Kristy Pagan, Candidate for State Representative, 21st District
- Larry & Sherry Johnson
- Matthew Johnson
- Ray & Kathy Johnson, Owner of Redford Karate
- Doreen Arwood
- Rich Bloom
- Shane Dials
- Susan Dzbanski
- Melinda Graczyk
- Tom Graham, Redford Fire Chief
- Chris & Meghan Hicks
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Jay + Johnson + Michigan + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Michigan House of Representatives
- Michigan House of Representatives District 10
- Michigan House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Michigan State Legislature
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Vote-USA
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Jay Johnson on Facebook
- Jay Johnson on Twitter
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed May 27, 2014
- Information submitted through Ballotpedia's biographical submission form on July 15, 2014
- johnson4me.com, "Issues," accessed July 22, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Representative in State Legislature," accessed August 6, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan General Candidate Listing," accessed September 8, 2014
- johnson4me.com, "Endorsements," accessed July 22, 2014
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |