|Virginia House of Delegates, District 78|
|January 8, 2014|
|January 13, 2016|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Chairman, Chesapeake School Board|
|Bachelor's||James Madison University, 1985|
|J.D.||T.C. Williams School of Law, 1988|
Leftwich graduated from James Madison University in 1985 and T.C. Williams School of Law with a J.D. in 1988. He is a lawyer.
At the beginning of the 2014 legislative session, Leftwich served on the following committees:
|Virginia Committee Assignments, 2014|
|• Courts of Justice|
|• Science and Technology|
Leftwich won election in the 2013 election for Virginia House of Delegates District 78. Leftwich entered the race after the June 11 Republican primary to fill the vacancy left on the ballot by incumbent John Cosgrove (R), who left the race to serve in the Virginia State Senate. He defeated Linda Bryant (D) and Dan J. Foster (L) in the general election on November 5, 2013.
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 78 General Election, 2013|
|Libertarian||Dan J. Foster||3.7%||889|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce: 2014 Legislative Report Card
- Legislators are scored based on their support of pro-business issues during the 2014 legislative session.
- Virginia League of Conservation Voters: 2014 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on environmental and conservation issues.
- Northern Virginia Chamber Partners: 2014 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on business and quality of life issues.
In 2013, Leftwich’s endorsements included the following:
- The Virginia Farm Bureau
- Virginia Politics on Demand, "Race to Replace Cosgrove in the 78th House of Delegates District takes shape," June 23, 2013
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Jay + Leftwich + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Virginia State Legislature
- Virginia House of Delegates
- Virginia House of Delegates Committees
- Virginia state legislative districts
- Del. Leftwich's website
- Profile from Open States
- Candidate Facebook page
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- Jay Leftwich for Delegate - Facebook, "About," accessed September 9, 2013
- Commonwealth of Virginia State Board of Elections, "Official List of Candidates, Tuesday, November 5, 2013 General Election, Virginia House of Delegates," accessed September 9, 2013
- Virginia Board of Elections, “Official Results - 2013 General Election," accessed December 2, 2013
- Farm Bureau - Virginia, "2013 AgPAC Endorsements," accessed September 9, 2013
John Cosgrove (R)
|Virginia House of Delegates District 78
| Succeeded by|
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |