|Board Member, Saint Paul School Board, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November, 2009|
|Next general||November, 2017|
|High school||St. Paul Central High School|
|Bachelor's||University of Minnesota, Duluth|
|Profession||Retired business executive|
Jean O'Connell graduated from St. Paul Central High School and earned her B.S. in Mathematics from the University of Minnesota, Duluth. O'Connell spent 34 years working at 3M Co. as an executive focusing on community affairs, quality, supply chain and manufacturing before retiring.
Jean O'Connell, fellow incumbent John Brodrick and newcomerChue Vue defeated challengers Terrance Bushard and Greg Copeland to win the three at-large seats in the general election on November 5, 2013.
|Saint Paul Public Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Jean O'Connell Incumbent||29.3%||19,621|
|Nonpartisan||John Brodrick Incumbent||24.6%||16,449|
|Source: Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Results for Selected Contests in School District No. 625 - St. Paul," accessed December 18, 2013|
Jean O'Connell began the race with an existing debt of $1,965.00 from her previous campaign. She reported $23,275.00 in contributions and $10,980.00 in expenditures to the Ramsey County Election Office, which left her campaign with $10,330.00 on hand.
- Saint Paul Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party
- St. Paul Federation of Teachers
- Mayor Chris Coleman
- Saint Paul Public Schools board members Anne Carroll, Mary Doran, Keith Hardy, Louise Seeba and Elona Street-Stewart
- Saint Paul City Council members Dan Bostrom, Amy Brendmoen, Kathy Lantry, Russ Stark, Chris Tolbert and Dave Thune
- Saint Paul Area Chamber of Commerce
- AFSCME Minnesota Council 5, Saint Paul Regional Labor Federation AFL-CIO, IUPAT District Council 82, Saint Paul Building and Construction Trades Council, Teamsters Local 120, International Union of Operating Engineers – Local 49, Plumbers Local Union No. 34, Sheet Metal Workers Local 10,North Central States Regional Council of Carpenters, Carpenters Local #322, IBEW Local 110, St. Paul Pipefitters Local 455 and Millwright and Machinery Erectors Local 548
|Saint Paul Public Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2009|
|Nonpartisan||Elona Street-Stewart Incumbent||21.9%||16,279|
|Nonpartisan||John Brodrick Incumbent||18.7%||13,906|
|Nonpartisan||Tom Goldstein Incumbent||18.2%||13,512|
|Source: Ramsey County, Minnesota "Summary of Totals," accessed October 22, 2013|
O'Connell's campaign website listed the following campaign themes for 2013:
I want to help the district and community use technology to eliminate the achievement gaps we see between groups of students.
This is a critical time for our schools. We need to make fundamental changes to improve student achievement and better balance the resources used to support their learning.
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
There were three seats on the school board up for election on November 5, 2013. Board President Jean O'Connell and fellow incumbent John Brodrick sought and won re-election, but fellow incumbent Elona Street-Stewart did not file for re-election. They faced three newcomers in Chue Vue, Terrance Bushard and Greg Copeland for the three seats.
About the district
- See also: Saint Paul Public Schools, Minnesota
Ramsey County underperformed the rest of Minnesota in terms of its median rates of average household income and poverty rate but outperformed in terms of higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Ramsey County was $52,713 compared to $58,476 for the state of Minnesota. The poverty rate in Ramsey County was 16.4% compared to 11.0% for the entire state. The United States Census Bureau also found that 38.8% of Ramsey County residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 31.8% in Minnesota.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Jean + O'Connell + Saint + Paul + Public + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Doug Belden, TwinCities.com, "Retired 3M executive Jean O'Connell running for St. Paul school board," May 13, 2009
- Jean O'Connell - Saint Paul School Board, "Meet Jean," accessed October 22, 2013
- Ramsey County, Minnesota, "Campaign Finance Reports - 2013," accessed December 27, 2013
- Jean O'Connell - Saint Paul School Board, "Supporters," accessed October 22, 2013
- Saint Paul City DFL, "Saint Paul DFL candidates file for mayor and school board races," July 30, 2013
- Mila Koumpilova, TwinCities.com, "St. Paul school board candidates agree on problems, but not on fixes," October 17, 2013
- Jean O'Connell - Saint Paul School Board, "Message from Jean," accessed October 22, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Ramsey County, Minnesota," accessed October 15, 2013
- Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Election Results and Statistics," accessed October 15, 2013