|University of Texas Board of Regents|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Rick Perry|
|Bachelor's||University of Texas-Austin|
|Master's||University of Texas-Austin|
|Net worth||$5.5 billion|
Hildebrand founded Hilcorp, an oil and gas exploration and production company based out of Houston, Texas, in 1989 with two partners after previously working at Exxon. In 2011, Hildebrand sold his interests in Eagle Ford Shale to Marathon Oil for $1.4 billion.
Wallace Hall impeachment
- See also: Wallace Hall impeachment trial
After he was appointed in 2011, University of Texas Regent Wallace Hall began looking into what he believed to be clout scandals within the University of Texas system. Hall investigated the university's forgivable-loans program, admissions policies and preferential treatment to politically-connected individuals. Hall, as an individual citizen, filed a large number of FOIA requests with the University system after his inquiries via his role as a Regent were rebuffed. According to his accusers, Hall filed requests of more than 800,000 pages, which some Texas administrators called an unnecessary burden. However, a letter from University chancellor Francisco Cigarroa in February 2014 said that Hall likely requested fewer than 100,000 pages. In addition, Cigarroa wrote: "During testimony before the Select Committee, some early witnesses implied that the U.T. System has not protected the privacy rights of students, staff, and patients. This is simply not true."
An effort was begun in June 2013 to try and impeach Hall from his position as regent. Some legislators are justifying the impeachment on the grounds that Hall did not disclose several lawsuits that he was involved in when he originally completed his Regent background check. Hall updated Governor Rick Perry's office in April 2013 with the full list. No unelected official in Texas has ever been successfully impeached or removed from office. Governor of Texas Rick Perry's spokesperson said the investigations send a "chilling message" to gubernatorial appointees. He added that the investigation was "extraordinary political theater."
In July 2013, University of Texas Chancellor Francisco Cigarroa and Powell responded to the ongoing investigation and negative remarks against Hall from some elected officials and University of Texas staff. Cigarroa said Hall was not allowed to access anything that was not reviewed by University lawyers to ensure they met federal privacy standards. In a July 15, 2013 letter to state representative Jim Pitts, Powell wrote: "Regent Hall's efforts extend to bringing the U.T. System into a competitive position nationally; especially related to offering blended and online learning opportunities to U.T. students. I would point out Regent Hall's excellent service to the Board in terms of time and energy. I appreciate his Board service and his dedication and hard work designed to fulfill his fiduciary obligations. He added: "I am aware of no instance of Regent Hall inappropriately sharing information that is confidential by law with others outside U.T. System and encourage you to identify any specific concerns you have in this area," Hall investigated the university's forgivable-loans program, admissions policies and preferential treatment to politically-connected individuals.
Call for Hall to resign
At a May 15, 2014 Board of Regents meeting, Board Chair Paul Foster said he believed Hall should resign from his position as Regent. "I implore you to deal with the results of the actions that now have the potential for significant consequence for the UT system," Foster said. Regents Alex Cranberg and Eugene Powell defended Hall's actions while Jeffery Hildebrand, Robert Stillwell and Steven Hicks supported Foster in his call for resignation. No formal vote on Hall was taken by the board.
Foster implied that Hall's resignation would be the best course of action in order to end the distraction that was caused by the impeachment trial. Hall was present at the meeting but did not comment to media.
Hildebrand serves on the following Board standing committees:
- Audit, Compliance, and Management Review
- Finance and Planning
- Health Affairs
- Technology Transfer and Research
Hildebrand is married with three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Jeffery + Hildebrand + Texas"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Texas Monthly, "Jeffery Hildebrand," accessed November 22, 2013
- University of Texas System, "Jeffery Hildebrand Biography," accessed October 31, 2013
- Hilcorp, "About Jeffery Hildebrand," accessed November 22, 2013
- Forbes, "Jeffery Hildebrand," accessed October 31, 2013
- University of Texas Investment Management Company, "Board of Directors," accessed December 11, 2013
- Dallas Morning News, "Gov. Perry appoints three members to UT Board of Regents," February 21, 2013
- American Spectator, "Transparency for Thee," October 25, 2013
- Daily Texas Online, "Facing impeachment, Regent Wallace Hall defends actions in debate with Sen. Kirk Watson," September 28, 2013
- Daily Texas Online, "Former UT System vice chancellor alleges Regent Wallace Hall’s ‘clear intent to get rid of Bill Powers’," October 24, 2013
- Dallas Morning News, "UT regent sought 800,000 documents, official says in impeachment hearing," October 22, 2013
- Watchdog, "‘Witch hunt’ fallout: Speaker calls for narrower public records law," February 5, 2014
- Texas Tribune, "UT System Responds to Transparency Committee Directives," February 3, 2014
- Texas Tribune, "Cigarroa letter to the Committee on Transparency in State Agency Operations," February 1, 2014
- Texas Tribune, "UT Regent Wallace Hall Updates Lawsuit Disclosures," April 30, 2013
- Real Clear Policy, "The Campaign Against Wallace Hall," August 15, 2013
- News-Journal, "University of Texas regent not worried by impeachment inquiry," September 9, 2013
- Texas Tribune, "Transparency Committee to Mull Impeachment of UT Regent," June 25, 2013
- Texas Tribune, "Perry Blasts Impeachment Probe of Wallace Hall," October 30, 2013
- Texas Tribune, "UT System Pushes Back Against Criticism of Regent Hall," July 16, 2013
- University of Texas System, "Letter from Eugene Powell to Jim Pitts," July 15, 2013
- American Spectator, "Transparency for Thee," October 25, 2013
- Austin American-Statesman, "Chairman of UT board of regents calls for resignation of Wallace Hall," May 15, 2014
- Houston Chronicle, "Board chairman asks embattled UT regent to resign," May 15, 2014
- Texas Tribune, "UT Board Chairman Calls for Regent Hall to Resign," May 15, 2014
- The Alcalde, "Regents Chairman Calls on Wallace Hall to Resign," May 15, 2014
- KXAN, "Texas Regent Hall defies call for him to resign," May 19, 2014
- Houston Chronicle, "Wallace Hall to UT Chairman Foster: I won’t resign," May 19, 2014
- University of Texas System, "Board Committees," accessed October 31, 2013