|U.S. House, Michigan, District 1|
Cannon, a former Kalkaska County Sheriff and retired army general, will be challenging Dan Benishek in his congressional bid. From 2003-2004, Cannon also served as the commander of the Joint Detention Operations Group at Guantanamo. Regarding his service at the controversial detention facility, Cannon said, “I’ve done that gladly. I’ve done that proudly. I would do it again.”
Cannon is running in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent Michigan's 1st District. Cannon ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 5, 2014. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.
Denying phone comments
In January 2014, Cannon was interviewed by a reporter from the Daily Mining Gazette. The day afterwards, the reporter called Cannon to ask follow-ups. The person who answered the phone identified himself as Cannon, and went on to express his dislike of the Affordable Care Act. Cannon's campaign denied that he had made the anti-Obamacare comments, and the newspaper later revealed that the reporter had dialed the wrong number and had spoken with a Cannon impersonator, and not Cannon himself. Cannon's campaign subsequently confirmed his support for the Affordable Care Act.
Cannon has stated that the "worst thing that could be done" to the Affordable Care Act is to "throw it all away."
|Jerry Cannon (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|October Quarterly||October 15, 2013||$0.00||$130,389.96||$(25,894.63)||$104,495.33|
|Year-End||January 31, 2014||$104,495.33||$162,242.58||$(71,805.36)||$194,932.55|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2014||$194,932.55||$145,670.89||$(70,124.03)||$270,479.41|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Jerry + Cannon + Michigan + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- Michigan's 1st Congressional District elections, 2014
- Michigan's 1st Congressional District
- ‘’Roll Call’’ “Ex-Gitmo Commander to Challenge House Republican,” Accessed August 12, 2013
- ‘’Interlochen Public Radio’’ “Former Kalkaska Sherrif Announces Congressional Bid,” Accessed August 12, 2013
- Roll Call, "Democratic Candidate Says Gitmo Experience Is Not a Liability (Video)," October 29, 2013
- The Washington Post, "DCCC adds nine names to program for top recruits," September 9, 2013
- Politico, "PTC push faces tough tax extenders battle – Hundreds dead in Turkish coal mine disaster," May 14, 2014
- Politico, "Four things to watch over August recess — Colorado ballot initiative signature deadline today — Miners union backs Grimes — San Onofre decommissioning could cost $4.4 billion — LCV backs Benishek chal," August 4, 2014
- Metro Times, "Northern Michigan newspaper calls congressional candidate for comment, later realizes it was probably someone else," February 28, 2014
- Talking Points Memo, Mystery Surrounds Who's Answering The Phone For Dem Candidate," January 22, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Jerry Cannon October Quarterly," accessed October 30, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Jerry Cannon Year-End," accessed February 11, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Jerry Cannon April Quarterly," accessed April 21, 2014