Jerry L. Canada
|Jerry L. Canada|
|Board Chair, Roanoke County Public Schools, Hollins District|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November 7, 2017|
is the current seat holder of the Hollins District on the Roanoke County School Board
, where he is also Board Chair. He was re-elected on November 5, 2013 in an unopposed race.
- See also: Roanoke County Public Schools elections (2013)
Canada was not endorsed in this campaign.
Canada reported no contributions or expenditures to the Virginia State Board of Elections.
What was at stake?
Three seats on the Roanoke County Public School Board were up for election on November 5, 2013. Those seats were for magisterial districts Hollins, Vinton and Windsor Hills. The incumbents of those districts were the only candidates to file for those seats, and all were re-elected.
About the district
- See also: Roanoke County Public Schools, Virginia
Roanoke County Public Schools is located in Roanoke County, Virginia.
Roanoke County Public Schools is located in Roanoke County, Virginia
. The county seat of Roanoke County is Salem
. Roanoke County is home to 93,524 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau.
In the 2011-2012 school year, Roanoke County Public Schools was the 17th-largest school district
and served 14,454 students.
Roanoke County outperformed the rest of Virginia in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 33.1 percent of Roanoke County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 35.2 percent for Virginia as a whole. The median household income in Roanoke County was $60,795 compared to $63,907 for the state of Virginia. The poverty rate in Roanoke County was 6.6 percent compared to 11.3 percent for the entire state.
| Racial Demographics, 2013
|| Roanoke County (%)
|| Virginia (%)
| Black or African American
| American Indian and Alaska Native
| Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander
| Two or More Races
| Hispanic or Latino
| Presidential Voting Pattern, Roanoke County
|| Democratic Vote (%)
|| Republican Vote (%)
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Jerry + Canada + Roanoke + County + Public + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Jerry Canada News Feed
- ↑ Virginia State Board of Elections Campaign Finance Reports, accessed December 19, 2013
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 United States Census Bureau, "Roanoke County, Virginia," accessed January 27, 2015
- ↑ National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- ↑ Virginia Department of Elections, "Election Results," accessed September 17, 2013
- ↑ United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- ↑ Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.