Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, Arizona, District 2|
Kelly's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Jobs and Economy
- Excerpt: "The recent economic crisis must be a wake-up call for the US Government to end its incessant spending and regulatory vice-grip over the economy. Only free markets and the entrepreneurial spirit can save America, not the heavy hand of government."
- National Debt and Government Spending
- Excerpt: "We must return to a path of fiscal sanity. Washington must do what the American people are doing: cutting spending, paying down debt and living within their means."
- Social Security
- Excerpt: "I support protecting Social Security. We need a long-term solution that ensures funds paid into the system will be there when people retire."
- Excerpt: "I oppose Obama-care and the rationing of health care. We must reform tort laws to lower health care costs for all Americans."
- Excerpt: "We must secure the border now! District 8 contains three border counties. The trafficking and violence in these areas are having a very negative impact on the district. We must address this issue in order to reduce the threat to our domestic security and to protect our sovereignty."
- Military and Veterans
- Excerpt: "We must continue to support expanded and modernized medical, educational and occupational services for our veterans."
- Second Amendment
- Excerpt: "It is about the right of a free people to defend themselves which is why I am a strong supporter of the right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms."
- Excerpt: "We need an "all of the above" strategy with regard to energy, including but not limited to: oil, natural gas, clean coal, wind, solar, and nuclear power."
- Excerpt: "The purpose of an education system should be to teach our children the knowledge and skills they will need to live as free and productive citizens."
- National Defense
- Excerpt: "We must fully fund our nation's military and ensure the men and women in uniform have the tools, training, and care they need and deserve."
- Sanctity of Human Life
- Excerpt: "I support and will defend life from conception to natural end."
Kelly ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Arizona's 2nd District. He would have faced Mark Koskiniemi and Martha McSally in the Republican primary on August 28, 2012, but withdrew prior to the primary.
Kelly ran in the 2012 special election for the U.S. House, representing Arizona's 8th District. The election was held to replace recently resigned Representative Gabrielle Giffords. He won the April 17 Republican primary. He was defeated by Ron Barber (D) in the general election on June 12, 2012.
|Jesse Kelly (2012) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|Pre-Special||April 5, 2012||$49,375.49||$533,679.24||$(499,762.35)||$83,292.38|
|Post-Special||July 12, 2012||$83,292.38||$231,426.54||$(295,282.55)||$19,436.37|
Kelly and his wife, Aubrey, have two children.
- Campaign website, The Issues
- Official primary candidate list
- Associated Press primary results
- Washington Post "Voters in Arizona's 8th Congressional District pick Kelly as GOP candidate for Giffords' seat," April 18, 2012
- Arizona Secretary of State - Unofficial special election results
- Federal Election Commission "Jesse Kelly's Summary Report," Accessed August 23, 2012
- Federal Election Commission "Jesse Kelly Pre-Special," Accessed August 23, 2012
- Federal Election Commission "Jesse Kelly Post-Special," Accessed August 23, 2012
- Project Vote Smart biography