Jim Bellet and Tom Mallams recall, Klamath County, Oregon (2013)
An effort to recall Jim Bellet and Tom Mallams from their positions on the Board of Commissioners of Klamath County, Oregon was launched in July 2013. Supporters of the recall are currently circulating petitions in order to qualify the recall question for the ballot. The recall effort did not go to a vote because no signatures were turned in.
The recall effort was initiated by Shannon Roberts. Roberts had previously been outspoken against the commissioners on county issues, such as coordinated care organization.
The other county commissioner, Dennis Linthicum, was also targeted in a recall effort, which began in May 2013. That effort failed to turn in signatures by its 90-day deadline. The recall efforts against Bellet and Mallams were unable to start at the same time as the Linthicum recall effort due to laws requiring a six month waiting period from the time of an official's election before a recall can be initiated.
Two Klamath County commissioners, David Henzel and Clif McMillan, were previously recalled in 1996.
Reasons for recall
On the petition, recall supporters wrote:
|“||We citizens feel our demands and needs are being completely ignored. We’ve spoken our concerns and petitioned by the multi-thousands and it appears the commissioners are not keeping their promises of putting the communities’ needs first.||”|
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Oregon
In order to qualify for the ballot, recall supporters were required to collect 3,474 signatures by October 7, 2013 (90 days after the July petition filing).
Klamath Irrigation District ethics complaint
In September 2013 Klamath Irrigation District filed an ethics complaint against Mallams. Mallams indicated he was open to the investigation in order to clear his name. He linked the complaint from the irrigation district to the recall effort, stating, "I want the public to know my feeling is this is a vain attempt to try to resurrect a failing recall effort. I think that's what this is all about." It was reported that recall leader Shannon Roberts had no affiliation with the irrigation district.
- Recall campaigns in Oregon
- Political recall efforts, 2013
- County commission recalls
- Klamath County, Oregon
- Dennis Linthicum recall, Klamath County, Oregon (2013)
- Herald and News, "Morning report: Mallams, Bellet recall effort fails," October 9, 2013
- Herald and News, "Recall petition filed on Bellet, Mallams," July 10, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Herald and News, "County commissioner recall bid fizzles," August 8, 2013
- KOBI5.com, "Recalls Target 3 Klamath County Commissioners," July 10, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Herald and News, "Ethics complaint against Mallams," September 9, 2013
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |