|Alabama House of Representatives District 48|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position (current service)||3|
|Years in position (previous service)||12|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||August 30, 2011|
|Birthday||June 5, 1946|
Elections for the office of Alabama House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Incumbent Jim Carns was unopposed in the Republican primary and was unchallenged in the general election.
A special election was scheduled for November 29, 2011. However, since no Democrats filed for the seat, Carns took office after winning the August 30, 2011 Republican primary. He defeated Craig Sanderson, by a 1,134-682.
Carns is married and has three children.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Note: As of November 2014, we were unable to locate any scorecards for the state of Alabama. If you are aware of a scorecard Ballotpedia has not included please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Jim + Carns + Alabama + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alabama House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- al.com, "Gov. Robert Bentley calls special election to fill two legislative seats," July 11, 2011
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Al.com, "Jim Carns wins in Alabama House District 48; Tommy Joe Alexander, Dickie Drake in runoff in House District 45," August 30, 2011
- Newt Gingrich 2012, "Newt 2012 Announces Alabama Leadership Team," March 12, 2012 (timed out)
|Alabama House District 48
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|