|Alabama State Senate, District 17|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Birthday||October 27, 1962|
|Place of birth||Oneonta, AL|
Murphee's professional experience includes being an Oneonta businessman and an insurance agent.
Murphree's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "I believe a strong education system is the cornerstone of any properly functioning democracy. We as Alabamians should strive to give our children the best education of any state in the nation, and as your Senator I will work to ensure that all of our children have access to an excellent education."
- Job Creation and Workforce Development
- Excerpt: "Creating new jobs and protecting the ones we have will be central to my work as your Senator. As a small business owner for going on three decades, I know well the importance of a strong economy and the need to reduce government interference. We must continue our efforts to grow our economy after the failed policies of the Obama Administration, and I will work every day of my term to bring new jobs to District 17 and protect the ones already here. I have two kids, Hannah and Andrew, and everyday I think about their future. I want to leave them and economy and a life that they can be proud of."
- Second Amendment
- Excerpt: "As a gun-owner and believer in the Constitution of the United States, I believe the right to bear arms is a foundational part of being an Alabamian and an American. As your Senator, I will fight tirelessly to prevent the bureaucrats in Montgomery and Washington from trampling on our Constitutional right to carry."
- Excerpt: "In my previous four years as a member of the State House of Representatives, I played an integral part in passing new ethics legislation to increase transparency and accountability in Montgomery. I believe a man's word is the greatest thing he has, and I pledge to continue my efforts in making your elected representatives remember they serve you, and not the other way around."
- Excerpt: "From day one as your Senator, I will introduce legislation to repeal Obamacare in the state of Alabama and reduce its overwhelming effects on all of us."
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Alabama State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Shay Shelnutt, Jim Murphree, Gayle Gear, Brett King, Adam Ritch, Joe Cochran, and Jim Roberts faced off in the Republican primary. Because no candidate received more than 50 percent of the vote, the top two vote-getters - Shelnutt and King - met in a runoff election, which Shelnutt won. Shelnutt is unchallenged in the general election.
Murphree ran in the special election for District 34 of the Alabama House of Representatives. He lost against Bill Burns, Mark Butler, Joe Hughes, Chris Latta and David Standridge in the Republican primary on October 23, 2012.
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2010
Murphree was a Republican candidate for District 17 of the Alabama State Senate. The primary election was on June 1, 2010, and the general election was on November 2, 2010. Murphree was defeated in the June 1 primary by Scott Beason.
Murphree has two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Jim + Murphree + Alabama + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama State Senate
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Alabama House of Representatives elections, 2014
- AL Reporter, "In Case You Missed It," March 11, 2014
- Jim Murphree, "The Issues," accessed May 1, 2014
- AL.com, "Alabama primary runoffs: Live results from select statewide races," July 15, 2014
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- AL.com, "Blount County's District 34 House race headed to a runoff," October 23, 2012
- Governor of Alabama, "Governor Bentley Appoints Blaine Galliher as Legislative Director," July 26, 2012
- The Republic, "Candidates qualify for special elections to fill 2 vacant seats in Alabama House," September 11, 2012
- Jim Murphree, "Our Crew," accessed May 1, 2014
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|