|Florida State Senate District 12|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Hillsborough County Board of Commissioners|
Norman attended the University of North Florida. His professional experience includes working as a legislative analyst for the Salvation Army.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Norman served on these committees:
- Community Affairs Vice Chair
- Budget Subcommittee on Finance and Tax
- Budget Subcommittee on Transportation, Tourism, and Economic Development Appropriations
- Governmental Oversight and Accountability
- Health Regulation
- Regulated Industries
- Joint Legislative Auditing Alternating Chair
On his campaign website, Norman lists six issues he is concerned about. They are:
- Strengthening the Economy
- Excerpt: "Creating and protecting jobs in Hillsborough and Pasco County is Jim’s number one priority...Jim will work hard to provide incentives and reduce regulation to create a better climate for small businesses to succeed and provide jobs."
- Fight against Wasteful Spending and Increase Taxes
- Excerpt: "Jim is leading the fight to Ax the Commuter Rail Tax. He has consistently fought for ways to reduce spending and hold the line on taxes in local government."
- Support Our Troops and Veterans
- Excerpt: "The brave men and women defending our freedoms need our continued support. Jim led the effort in pay county property taxes for troops, and their families, serving in combat areas while they are deployed."
- Improve Education
- Excerpt: "He believes that reducing bureaucracy and holding schools accountable is a necessary step to improve education for all Florida children."
- Support First Responders
- Excerpt: "In the Senate, he will work toward stiffer penalties for repeat offenders and sexual predators and fight all efforts to release criminals early."
- Fight Illegal Immigration
- Excerpt: "Law enforcement officials should be empowered to detain illegal immigrants."
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2012
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2010
| Florida State Senate, District 12 |
2010 General election results
|Jim Norman (R)||85,324||99.17%|
|Derek Crabb (Write-in)||364||0.42%|
|Kimberly Renspie (Write-in)||348||0.40%|
Norman was originally disqualified in mid-October due to an election lawsuit brought by Kevin Ambler, whom Norman defeated in the primary. Party leaders chose Rob Wallace to replace him. However, on October 27 the initial decision was reversed and Norman was put back on the ballot.
Norman defeated Kevin Ambler in the August 24 primary by a margin of 18,452-14,530.
|Florida State Senate, District 12 - Republican Primary (2010)|
Norman raised $393,288 in campaign contributions in 2010. The largest contributors are listed below.
|Florida State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Jim Norman's campaign in 2010|
|Florida Republican Party||$55,001|
|Florida Chamber Of Commerce||$4,000|
|Florida Retail Federation||$3,500|
|Florida Institute Of CPAs||$2,000|
|Hospital Corp Of America||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$393,288|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Jim + Norman + Florida + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida State Legislature
- Florida State Senate
- Florida Senate Committees
- Florida state legislative districts
- Jim Norman campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010
- Jim Norman on Facebook
- Newt Gingrich 2012, "Newt 2012 Florida Announces Florida Statewide Leaders and Steering Committee," January 6, 2012
- normanforsenate.com, "About Jim - Issues," accessed December 16, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed April 15, 2012
- Florida Department of Elections, "Official Primary Results," accessed December 16, 2014
- Florida Department of Elections, "Official 2010 election results," accessed December 16, 2014
- My Fox Tampa Bay, "Republican party picks new candidate," October 23, 2010
- Florida Independent, "State Senate candidate Norman wins appeal, is back on ballot," October 27, 2010
- Follow the Money, "2010 Contributions," accessed December 16, 2014
|Florida Senate District 12
| Succeeded by|
Geraldine Thompson (D)