Jim Patterson (Alabama)
|Alabama House of Representatives District 21|
|November 3, 2010-Present|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Jacksonville State University, 1972|
|Birthday||April 2, 1950|
|Place of birth||Huntsville, AL|
Patterson's political experience includes his service on the School Board of Madison County from 1988 to 2000.
Patterson earned his B.S. in Business from Jacksonville State University in 1972. His professional experience includes working as a broker for Thompson MC Kerrior from 1976 to 1980, for Bristol Myers from 1980 to 2008 and as the owner of Patterson Properties since 1999. Patterson served in the United States Army as a Captain from 1972 to 1976.
Patterson served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Subcommittee on Economic Development and Incentives
- Subcommittee on Health Care Costs
- Subcommittee on Health Care Professionals and Procedures
- Local Legislation Committee, Alabama House of Representatives
- Madison County Legislation Committee, Alabama House of Representatives
Patterson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Economic Development
- Excerpt: "Every candidate claims to be for Economic Development, but Jim Patterson has a true understanding of the subject. Economic Development is not just creating jobs, but creating a long-term sustainable source of income for the citizens of House District 21 and North Alabama alike."
- Excerpt: "Jim Patterson has a plan that partners local industries with the two-year college system to create Certificate and Associates degree programs that are tailored to their workforce needs."
- Excerpt: "Its time to change the landscape of Montgomery and return the power to the People of Alabama. It all starts by passing meaningful Ethics Reform Laws."
- Excerpt: "It is time for a State Representative that is going to join a team to bring funding for roads to North Alabama."
- Illegal Immigration
- Excerpt: "Jim Patterson believes that in order to have a truly sovereign nation, we must be able to secure our borders and put an end to illegal immigrants’ infiltration of our jobs, our hospitals and the social services that were intended for our country’s citizens who are in need."
- Excerpt: "In addition to good schools, a trainable workforce and safe roads and infrastructure, the final piece of the puzzle to attract new corporations and their jobs is low taxes."
- Socialized Health Care (Obamacare)
- Excerpt: "Obamacare, or recent Healthcare Reform Bill that forces the people to subscribe to or participate in a social healthcare system, is the biggest breach of personal rights and responsibilities that has ever been enacted on the citizens of the United State in our history."
- Gambling in Alabama
- Excerpt: "Though Jim Patterson does not personally believe that gambling is something we need in Alabama, he will allow a clean bill, free from special interest protections, loop holes for corruption and creation of gambling monopolies, to come to a vote by the people of the State of Alabama."
- 2nd Amendment - Gun Rights
- Excerpt: "He will always insure the citizens of Alabama never have there 2nd Amendment right to bear arms taken from them."
- Excerpt: "Jim Patterson appreciates the sanctity of life and believes that life begins at conception."
- Excerpt: "Jim will not support legislation to allow same-sex marriages in the State of Alabama."
Elections for the office of Alabama House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on June 3, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2013. C. Terry Jones will face Patrick A. Jones in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Jim Patterson is unopposed in the Republican primary.
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 21 General Election (2010)|
|Jim Patterson (R)||6,654|
|Randy Hinshaw (D)||6,201|
In 2010, Patterson raised $135,091 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Alabama Republican Party||$46,419|
|Patterson, James M||$20,556|
|Alabama Farmers Federation||$5,000|
In 2010, Patterson's endorsements included the following:
- The Alabama Tea Party Express
Patterson and his wife, Susan, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Jim + Patterson + Alabama + House + Legislature" Jim Patterson News Feed
- House site
- Project Vote Smart Biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Jim Patterson on Facebook
- Jim Patterson's campaign website, Issues
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 27, 2014
- Statewide general election results (Archived), accessed December 13, 2013
- followthemoney.org, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- The Alabama Tea Party Express, "2012 endorsements," accessed January 6, 2014
|Alabama House District 21
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|