|Maryland State Senate District 24|
|January 12, 2011-Present|
|January 5, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Deputy Majority Leader, Maryland State House of Delegates|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Maryland State House of Delegates|
|Bachelor's||Bowie State College, 1961|
|Master's||Catholic University of America, 1972|
|Birthday||March 11, 1941|
|Place of birth||Roanoke, VA|
Benson served in the Maryland House of Delegates from 1991 to 2011. Benson served as Deputy Majority Leader.
Benson earned her B.S. in Education from Bowie State College in 1961 and her M.A. in Curriculum Instruction from the Catholic University of America in 1972.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Benson served on these committees:
- Children, Youth, and Families
- Education, Health and Environmental Affairs
- Subcommittee on Education
- Subcommittee on Health Occupations
- Welfare Reform
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Benson served on these committees:
- Access to Mental Health Services (Chair)
- Children, Youth, & Families
- Health & Government Operations
- Subcommittee on Government Operations
- Subcommittee on Minority Health Disparities
- Protocol (Chair)
On her campaign website, Benson listed 6 issues:
- "A safe environment for our residents and families; committed to tackling gang and domestic violence."
- "Quality jobs and benefits for workers and their families and support for businesses that invest in our local economy."
- "Access to quality health care and to keep Prince George's Hospital open to serve our residents."
- "Maintaining services for senior citizens and to always make sure that seniors have a safe, affordable, and clean place to live."
- "Substance abuse treatment for those in need. This will help to reduce crime and restore the social fabric of our communities impacted by drug and alcohol addiction."
- "Improving our community by removing blight, funding our infrastructure and holding those businesses accountable who are not responsible to the needs of our community."
- See also: Maryland State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Maryland State Senate will consist of a primary election on June 24, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 25, 2014. Incumbent Joanne Benson will face Bobby G. Henry, Jr. in the Democratic primary.
- See also: Maryland State Senate elections, 2010
Benson won re-election with 27,222 votes, and was unopposed in the November 2 general election.
Across the country in 2010, state senate elections were held in 43 states. 1,167 state senate seats were at stake. In all 1,167 state senate districts with an election in 2010, only 19 challengers (12 Democrats and 7 Republicans) defeated an incumbent state senator. Benson was one of the 12 Democratic challengers who defeated an incumbent Democratic state senator.
|Maryland State Senate, District 24 (2010) General Election|
|Joanne Benson (D)||27,222||100%|
|Maryland State Senate, District 24- Democratic Primary (2010)|
Joanne Benson raised $57,800 for her campaign.
|Maryland House of Delegates, District 24|
|Joanne Benson (D)||19,081||33.5%|
|Carolyn Howard (D)||19,007||33.4%|
|Michael Vaughn (D)||18,806||33.0%|
In 2010, Benson raised $145,730 in contributions.
Her five largest contributors were:
|Progressive Democrats Slate||$10,000|
|United Food & Commercial Workers Local 400||$8,000|
|Mcgeo Food & Commercial Workers Local 1994||$6,000|
|Friends Of Justin Ross||$6,000|
|Prince Georges County Democratic Central Cmte||$6,000|
In 2006 Joanne Benson collected $57,800 in donations.
Her five largest contributors in 2006 were:
|Friends of Peter Hamman||$1,500|
|Multi Bil Inc.||$1,300|
|J B Jenkins Funeral Home||$1,000|
Benson is Treasurer of the Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, and a member of the Maryland Veterans Caucus, Maryland Commission on Disabilities, Maryland Bicycle and Pedestrian Caucus, and Women Legislators of Maryland.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Joanne + Benson + Maryland + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Maryland State Legislature
- Maryland State Senate
- Maryland Senate Committees
- Maryland Joint Committees
- Maryland State Senate District 24
- Senate website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 1998
- Joanne Benson for State Senate: Issues
- Maryland Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 3, 2014
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "2010 General Election Official Results," accessed February 24, 2014
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "Official Primary Results," accessed February 24, 2014
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "Official 2006 Gubernatorial General Election results for House of Delegates," accessed March 24, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Benson's 2006 campaign contributions," accessed March 24, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Maryland 2010 - Candidates," accessed December 23, 2013
- 2006 contributors to Joanne Benson
|Maryland State Senate District 24
| Succeeded by|
|Maryland House of Delegates District 24
| Succeeded by|